Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Waze is ignoring event closures

Post by sketch
At least cross-street closures.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/22/u7epapyd.jpg

St Charles is entirely closed. Crossings should not be allowed at all, per the event entry presentations.

There is, at the least, one actually-possible route during the closure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:5415

Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by petervdveen
tonestertm wrote:Great. So for the LA Marathon I just set up, I now have to go back and close 26 miles worth of cross-streets, too? Granted, I already have some of them in there due to closures which were specifically called out by the marathon organizers, but I'm easily looking at another hundred or so cross streets.
I don't think that should take you more then half an hour :-)
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by redviper26
Hey guys,

Closures work on a segment basis. If a segment is blocked, you can still cross it if there's an intersection. The closure is only for the segment, not the node. If you want to close an intersection, you need to close all segments going through it.

That's the basics. Did you encounter anything that does not work as it should? From what i've read here that is not the case, am I missing something?

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by redviper26
Hey guys,

We changed the presentation accordingly. Let us know if there are any more issues.

Thanks,

Noam
redviper26
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by sketch
deeggo wrote:We have seen the same here. If you consider that these are segment closures, it's working correctly. The question is if it's desirable.
The presentation you're sent when your event is approved clearly and specifically states that cross-streets are automatically closed as well, so this should not be permitted.

Besides, having to close all the various parade routes is hard enough. Having to add hundreds upon hundreds of cross streets is absurd.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
petervdveen wrote: But what if you can cross?
Then it will be impossible.

I think overall leaving it as it is is the easiest.
Btw, you know you don't have to do it street by street?
Just selecting a few extra streets isn't that a big job, I think.
The problem isn't whether or not it's working one way or the other, it's whether or not it's working as advertised. It is advertised as prohibiting crossings, so it should prohibit crossings. I selected the segments for the closure based on this understanding.

I do agree that some flexibility would be nice, but we need to be told how it's going to work.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Okay, it seems like it might actually be working? My test routes sent me right through the closure, but when I actually drove places where my route was affected, the route changed after a few minutes to go around the closure. I've been checking the route when I start out and they go through the closure, but then once I get down the route it's changed to take me around it. Last night I even got a rather confusing "We found a better route!" message, except the new ETA was actually 4 minutes later than the original ETA.

So, weird behavior, but perhaps not as bad as I thought. Having to get out and actually drive around the closures to test it makes it a lot harder to deal with, though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I'm not sure if it's approaching or just driving that triggers it. I haven't been out driving particularly to test, I've needed to go places where the normal route would take me through the closure, so I've always been driving towards it.

The Livemap is working inconsistently. It always seems to respect closures if I enter my origin and destination using addresses. If I set origin and destination pins manually, it respects closures sometimes and ignores them other times — when I started testing, it seemed to ignore them, and now it seems to respect them. Try it yourself: https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=15&la ... n=-90.0751

A separate problem, it looks like either Waze staff or the Waze process has missed a few of the cross streets, like the ones here on First and Josephine.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
redviper26 wrote:Hey guys,

Closures work on a segment basis. If a segment is blocked, you can still cross it if there's an intersection. The closure is only for the segment, not the node. If you want to close an intersection, you need to close all segments going through it.

That's the basics. Did you encounter anything that does not work as it should? From what i've read here that is not the case, am I missing something?

Noam
As deeggo said, the presentation sent to me when my event was approved says that crossing the route is also prohibited. Specifically:

"The system will block all the selected segments, taking into account that crossing the course of the event is forbidden, we will also block those junction’s segments"

So yes, a segment closure only closes that segment; but, according to the presentation, cross-segments will also be closed by staff. If that's not the case, let me know, and change the presentation; I will include the cross-segment IDs in the list next year.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
Great. So for the LA Marathon I just set up, I now have to go back and close 26 miles worth of cross-streets, too? Granted, I already have some of them in there due to closures which were specifically called out by the marathon organizers, but I'm easily looking at another hundred or so cross streets.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!