Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

my screen goes black or dim (iOS)

Post by kitkat0203
all of a sudden when I use waze, which by the way is daily, I get this spotlight on the screen on where I am. it hihglights my car.. and then the whole screen raudlaly just goes black .. and then it doesnt allow me to see ahead of where any traffic buildout may be.. it just gets sticks to where I am..... what is going on? I dont need spotlight on where I am... i need to see what is coming up and the screen going black.. ugh! help! :?
kitkat0203

POSTER_ID:10444805

Send a message

Post by Juice92104
I updated my iPhone to IOS 8.0.2 and it is going blank for no reason. It didn't use to do this on IOS 7. It also does it when I rotate my iPhone from Portrait to Landscape position. Got a fix yet?
Juice92104
Send a message

Post by jvlorenzen
Similar behavior here, the screen darkens when I receive a popup message (a reply on an accident report that is very old and still on the map). I tap on the map, the popup is gone, the screen is dark and it does not respond to touch.

Very annoying because there are many accidents left not the map, one from yesterday was reported 208 hours ago :(.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1
jvlorenzen
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I have not seen this problem on my phone in months now. iOS 6.x on iPhone 4. Running Beta App if I recall though.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by KINGbikerbabe
had the same problem before, tempo solved it by switching "never" to the auto-lock feature on the iPhone 5S, after I downloaded the newest update iOS 8.0.2, my problems on dimming after a minute was solved. maybe guys you just need to reboot it after the update..
KINGbikerbabe
Send a message

Post by kitkat0203
On my iphone
kitkat0203
Send a message

Post by kjstech
I've experienced this from time to time, but most recently today. After a few minutes of driving, my screen goes very dim. It does not turn completely off (sleep), it's just dim. I have to tap the screen and it goes back up to full brightness again for a few minutes.

I've tried other things but to no avail:
-Unchecking and rechecking prevent auto lock in Waze settings.
-Swiping up and adjusting IOS screen brightness to the minimum value, then back to the maximum value.
-Going to the home screen, then going back into Waze.
-Unplugging the USB end out of my USB to cigarette lighter adapter and verifying phone went to not charging. Then plugging USB back in and verifying phone went back to charging.

Note, I swapped to Pandora radio and that was 100% brightness for as long as I had it up, so the problem is Waze, not the iPhone.

I am on IOS 7.1.1. I heard IOS 8 is coming out this afternoon so maybe I will try to load that on once it is available. New iPhone 6 plus is on preorder so maybe when that arrives it will be fixed since it is a completely different screen (size and resolution).
kjstech
Send a message
PA, USA - iPhone XS Max - Latest WAZE from the App Store - Map Editor Level 1 - Royalty Wazer

Post by krikketdoug
I've run into the grey screen using Waze on occasion, but only when stopped.

I've also noticed the same behavior with other applications if I stop using the phone for a couple of minutes. I'm guessing that this behavior is part of the iOS, not of Waze. In theory, since Waze doesn't auto-shut off, it shouldn't be effected, but my guess is that they are.

And now that we have a new iOS version as of this morning, it may be a non-issue...

Krikket

Krikket
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by krikketdoug
It started happening to me as well, after the upgrade to IOS8. Still happening with IOS8.0.2
krikketdoug
Send a message

Post by largobob1
I recently had this happen too. Iphone 5. I just ended Waze, restarted it and it worked fine. It only ever happened once.
largobob1
Send a message