Two-way Ramps vs. Routing [Split from WME Validator]

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Two-way Ramps vs. Routing [Split from WME Validator]

Postby sketch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 pm

GooberKing wrote:To put a twist on this topic, we've come across an interesting situation in CT that I think would work better as a two-way ramp. This ramp is currently mapped as two one-way ramps, despite the road not meeting requirements for a split road. I'm proposing we redo this as a two-way ramp, but make it with two connected segments: One named "to SR-68" and connected to N Colony Rd, and the other named "to US-5 / to SR-15" connected to Church St.

I think this would make the road look better on the map and make it easier to maintain, as it reduces segments and geometry nodes. I realize Validator will get an aneurysm over it, but is there any technical reason why this would not work? Or is this just one of those "That's just not how things are done" situations?

I don't see any reason why this won't work, and I'm sure it's working fine. But it's also a bit of a hack, and in situations like this where the previous iteration was also likely working just fine and wasn't really any more difficult to maintain, well, all you're doing by reconfiguring it is losing a bunch of historical speed data.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 am

When penndot recruited a part of a ramp to temporarily serve as a part of a surface street during construction, we did exactly that in Philadelphia.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 588&zoom=7

Some Ramps are not very ramp-like in the sense that they are at grade. They are still "slip roads".
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby CBenson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:57 am

I think it would work fine.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GooberKing » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 pm

To put a twist on this topic, we've come across an interesting situation in CT that I think would work better as a two-way ramp. This ramp is currently mapped as two one-way ramps, despite the road not meeting requirements for a split road. I'm proposing we redo this as a two-way ramp, but make it with two connected segments: One named "to SR-68" and connected to N Colony Rd, and the other named "to US-5 / to SR-15" connected to Church St.

I think this would make the road look better on the map and make it easier to maintain, as it reduces segments and geometry nodes. I realize Validator will get an aneurysm over it, but is there any technical reason why this would not work? Or is this just one of those "That's just not how things are done" situations?
GooberKing
State Manager
State Manager

Postby CBenson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's because the angle wasn't steep enough at the time. Now it does do as you'd expect and say "stay left".

I don't think any angle would give a stay left instruction if the two segments in the permalink were ramp segments. The road type continuity would make the ramp to the highway the best continuation and suppress the instruction.

It shows a stay left in livemap instructions.

But its no longer a ramp segment so there is not currently road type continuity.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:47 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It shows a stay left in livemap instructions.

In which direction, westbound? Because Jason increased the angle to the current one while they were still ramps, tested it, and it still didn't give the "stay left" instruction. I tested it too, I think.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:15 am

CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:Notice the lack of the "keep left" instruction onto the freeway.

It's because the angle wasn't steep enough at the time. Now it does do as you'd expect and say "stay left".

I don't think any angle would give a stay left instruction if the two segments in the permalink were ramp segments. The road type continuity would make the ramp to the highway the best continuation and suppress the instruction.

It shows a stay left in livemap instructions.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:57 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:

It's because the angle wasn't steep enough at the time. Now it does do as you'd expect and say "stay left".

CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:51 pm

AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Could you point me to an example of a place where this might be/would be/has been a problem? Not that I don't believe you, I just can't picture a situation where it could be.

I have seen problems with ramps leaving out important instructions, but it hasn't been with two-way ramps. Look at the UR here, keeping in mind that the two selected segments were Ramp type when I left it: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-90.05 ... 6,57649175

Notice the lack of the "keep left" instruction onto the freeway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation & Routing