The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Error while saving house number locations

Post by chingliu
Hi everyone! This is my first post here on the forums, I only recently started editing the maps (with some much appreciated guidance from shawndoc).

I've been working my way through Los Angeles preemptively fixing all the "suggested route frequently ignored" errors due to people being routed down alleyways. Any time this kind of map problem pops up, I go along the entire street next to the alley and move all the house numbers closer to the street than to the alley.

Anyway, what I'm finding is that certain streets consistently and repeatedly give me saving errors when I try to move the house numbers. I'll move the numbers and save, and then it will freeze for a while (around a minute) then say "An error occurred while saving". From there, all I can do is close the house number editor because it no longer allows anything else. It gives the dialog saying I'll lose my unsaved changes after that.

The thing is that if I've only moved a small number of numbers (5 or less), the changes will usually appear within a couple minutes. But if I've moved many more than that they don't ever appear. This only happens on certain streets. Currently, I'm encountering this on Pico Blvd near Robertson Blvd.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-118.3 ... ts=4704197

I last encountered it on Beverly near Martel, but I slowly managed to work my way though getting the changes done five at a time. Does anyone know what causes this? Or, more importantly, how it can be fixed?

One thing I have noticed is that there always seems to be a locked segment fairly close to the segment I'm working on. ie if I hit "select entire street" it shows that something is locked. I wonder if you editors with higher rank will be able to replicate my problem.

Oh, also, should alleys be named "Alley"?

Thanks,
Ching
chingliu

POSTER_ID:16797811

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Have you read the entire House Numbers wiki article? Because moving house numbers away from the street has no effect today and it will have no effect in the future when house numbers in the Waze database are used for routing. That's what the Stop Point is for: regardless of where the house number is physically located, this is where the routing will end.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
chingliu wrote:Do you happen to know the answer to my other question? Should alleys be named "Alley"?
I don't name them unless they are marked or are otherwise socially referred to by a name. Often this is the two names of the street on either side with "Aly" at the end. So, the alley between Sherman and George streets would be "Sherman-George Aly."

However, I also know that using "Alley" can be helpful because if it is left unnamed, then you don't get a turn instruction with a "name" if the destination is on the alley. The app will leave the name of the last named segment on-screen.

If Waze uses an alley mid-route, then having it not named also is very confusing because if you are on 1st St and the alley takes you to 2nd St, then the turn onto the (unnamed) alley will tell you to "turn left/right at 2nd St" which then followed by "turn left/right at 2nd St" onto the real 2nd St.

Not sure what the best guidance is, but it may be contextual, that is, situation-dependent. See what searches for "alley" in the wiki lead to.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
chingliu wrote:So what you're saying is that, for now, users being incorrectly routed down alleys is inevitable and not fixable? But that when Waze starts using the stop points all these map problems will go away?
Fix them in the system of record, which for the US and many other countries, is google.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
In the US, the common reasons for not being able to save house numbers: (this is not an exhaustive list):

1. Permissions. You must have the required rank or higher on all segments selected when you go in to edit house numbers. Keep in mind that WME selects multiple segments when they are available and you must have the right rank on all of them

2. House Number outside the max distance, distance is currently undetermined. It seems to have shortened from where it was last year.

3. House Numbers not ordered correctly. Even across the street, addresses (in the US) must be in numerical order. This order is determined by where the stop point for each address lands on the segment. If your addresses are 3015 , 3018 , 3020, 3023, but the stop points for 3020 is after 3023, you'll get an error.

4. Even/odd numbers switched. In the US, it is normal for odd/even HNs to be side-specific. This will cause a Force requirement if you have a private drive you've named off to one side of the main street, so you can put the stop points more accurately, as all those HNs will be either even or odd. If you don't have rights to force, you'll get an error.

4.1 This often happens at the end of cul de sacs where the location of where the even/odd house numbers are side-by-side. You've got to have the cul de sac end point properly located to not require a force for one of the HNs.

Tip: when a HN is red because of an error/requires forcing, hover the mouse over the number and the reason for the error should pop up:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

Post by Bigbear3764
Even if you do one address and hit save?

Last time I was playing with addresses was Saturday. Didn't have much trouble. Was doing more adding then moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by chingliu
Wow, so many things to read and learn about map editing. What's the point of being able to mark the locations then?

So what you're saying is that, for now, users being incorrectly routed down alleys is inevitable and not fixable? But that when Waze starts using the stop points all these map problems will go away?

Ok, so I guess I'll stop worrying about moving these house numbers.

Do you happen to know the answer to my other question? Should alleys be named "Alley"?

Thanks,
Ching
chingliu
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
Several times in the past few weeks I have encountered errors with house numbers. In order to fix URs where the complaint is being routed to the alley, not the street, I have simply moved all of the numbers along the street closer to the street. All relative positions to each other remain nearly the same - but that would be based on the steadiness of my mouse/moves. Attempting to save generates an error "Unexpected error while saving" - but then all changes appear lost, and no ability to click "save" is possible. Yet when I try to navigate away, I get the message nag about unsaved changes and whether I want to navigate away from the page.
Is there anything I'm missing? As I said, this has happened a number of times and it is frustrating.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by jdeyoung
Editing one address on a street in Chicago isn't very helpful, since every address on most streets were placed too close to the alley. It would be FAR EASIER if there were a systemic approach - or a script that would allow multi-select of all addresses on at least one side of a street to move the batch.
Either way, it is inconsistent when it locks up. Sometimes it lets me update all of the addresses on both sides of the street - and I occasionally feel brave enough to do some in the next block - without locking up. I find it less than acceptable to get a save error and lose the edits on a tedious process like moving house numbers.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by sketch
Regarding the other problem brought up by this thread, which does not seem to have been addressed:

I am getting similar save errors, all along Veterans Memorial Blvd: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... TT&env=usa

Deleting a house number is not a problem. But any time I attempt to move or add a house number, and then save, I get the save error. Most of the time, nothing saves; occasionally (maybe 10% of the time), it'll throw up the error, but if I exit the house number and refresh the map, it turns out the edits were indeed saved.

Maybe it's a problem with the split road, or with old bad data. There were a lot of bad addresses around the 3700 range near what is actually the 4900 block. I removed the bad stuff and have been trying to add correct addresses and to legitimize (remove the "forced" tag) on addresses that are already there, but this is making it extremely difficult.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!