The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Map legend

Post by
Hi guys,
sorry if I'm asking a silly question. I would like to know if there is a map legend, and if so where I can find it, explaining the meaning of all the symbols and drawings that are diplayed on the maps. For example, I was drinving on a freeway and some of the roads were in yellow some others in brown....Could you please help me?
I have been using waze for a while now and I really like it a lot. Thank you so much for your great work!!

POSTER_ID:318994

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
And I would be willing to bet that some of what you are asking is listed in the client manuals in the Wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sbellosta wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:And I would be willing to bet that some of what you are asking is listed in the client manuals in the Wiki.
If it is there, it would be great!!
Could you please help me to find it? I looked for it but with no success.
Thanks
Well, I'm feeling :oops: as it doesn't appear to be in the wiki. Sorry.
Thanks for the information regarding the freeway color. I was wondering if there is some information on all the other symbols/colors used in the maps displayed on my mobile screen.
Each classification of road may or may not be a different color. Usually Primary Street, Minor Highway, Major Highway, and Freeway road types will be special colors. Streets are typically white. Unmunched (roads undriven by a Waze user) will sometimes show in a different color, but always with dots in the road. So each color scheme will color roads differently, and I don't see a legend anywhere.

The icons around the map on the screen are covered in each phone's user manual on the wiki.

Other items which appear on the map would be other Wazers and road goodies, which are worth points when you drive over them.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
RickW-NC wrote:iving over another Wazer? I have been missing out on those!!! ;-)
:lol:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This is a nicely done page, Ori and Waze. Thank you!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
And then there was the recent discussion that ended with a few editors saying all US Hwys were Major and all State Hwys/Routes were Minor, except the portions where those met restricted access (on and off-ramps only) standards.

(Example US Hwy 26 runs from the Oregon coast through Portland and then out east. From the coast, it is a Major Hwy, but turns into a Freeway type in west Portland, then back to a Major in downtown, then back to a Freeway as it leaves Portland concurrent with I-84.)

I have since editing A LOT of Oregon highways to following this version of the road type standard. The entire length of US Hwy 101 in Oregon is a Major Hwy, even though most of it is 2-lane.

How to hold such a conference?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Erroneous1950 wrote:Try this link.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Symbols
Really? Posting in a 3-year old thread?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by broadwayblues
What about areas off the road that are a number with a box around it? I see these all over the map on my phone-and only on my phone.

I live in a rural area, I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
broadwayblues
Send a message

Post by broadwayblues
Actually, I was not correct saying that the number was in a box. It is just a number that floats around different areas of the map.
Yesterday, it was an 11 over a river, and random numbers over the fields and woods that I drive by everyday.
broadwayblues
Send a message

erroneous1950
Send a message

Post by gerben
The page looks good, but in some coutries, other definitions are used for major/minor highway, primary road, etc.

Can you put a warning at the top of the page that the definitions of the segment types can be different in some countries, and that the reader needs to check the 'national' pages on the wiki to check this?
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png