[New Template] {{Construction}}

Post by kentsmith9
Some of you have already started using the new Mbox message templates on pages. That is great to see happening already.

sirKitKat, steveningelbrecht and I have been working on the back end of the Wiki to simplify editing and managing the Wiki content. One of the most common things to happen in the Wiki is changes to pages (new and current). For this reason we have built a common template called {{Construction}}.

When you go to this Wiki template page, the documentation for how to use the template will appear. Note this documentation is coded so it only appears when you look directly at the page, and is not included when you add the template {{Construction}} on your page (the result of transclusion).

Review the documentation for this new template to see the many ways you can alter the default message. Using predefined templates (like this one) will provide more consistency across the Wiki pages. I will see if I can find all the current pages that use the Mbox for construction and swap it out for the Construction template with the appropriate parameters for what the original editor intended.

If anyone has any questions on this or any templates, feel free to post the question here or send us a PM.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by jondrush
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Massachusetts
I like it. Working to add it to the other pages I created in Sept.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
kentsmith9 wrote: 3. We should put the Mass. specific pages under the Mass page as a subpage. I have been doing that to the other pages and am happy to do it here too. So no need to worry about it for now. I will be creating a Wiki page and thread describing how we are moving to subpages for content specific to a country or state moving forward.
Thanks, you mean this page?
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Massachusett ... _and_Towns
edit: nevermind, I figured out how to do sub-categories.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Yes please, sub-page tutorial needed.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
syborg_sasquatch wrote:Is there a way to create a contacttype of "thread" to display the text "post a message in this thread"? Both MD and DC have threads devoted to the Wiki.
The "|contacttype=forum" displays "post a message in this forum" as a universal entry for either a forum or specific thread of the forum. When I created it I didn't think the distinction was that important. Do you think readers of the text will not understand a link to a forum might or might not lead to a specific thread?

Maybe my instructions for the contact parameter is confusing?
Optional URL parameter for forum or private message. Do not include the descriptor field of the URL, meaning only send the valid URL text without the extra space followed by a description of the URL. Requires |contacttype= to alter message appropriate for forum or individual user.
Should I add a note that the forum can be either a forum section or a specific thread in the forum?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
syborg_sasquatch wrote:Hmmm..yeah, I'm probably being too picky. :oops:
No problem. Thanks for the feedback. Glad it is seeing use!
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jondrush wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Massachusetts
I like it. Working to add it to the other pages I created in Sept.
Nice formatting of the template too!

Things to consider:
1. You identified the construction is only on a section which is true when you have content above the construction template. However, you only have the intro sentence. I would not typically say this was only for a section since I believe you are saying the whole page is under construction. Therefore I would move the template to the top of the page and change it to "|section=no".

2. Your contact URL includes the SSL "s" in "https" which results in a lock icon for the user. It is unnecessary and we usually remove the "s" from the URL so users see the typical link arrow. I believe the lock icon may confuse some people. Both ways work the same, so it is not critical. Just note that whenever I am on a page I default to removing the 's'.

3. We should put the Mass. specific pages under the Mass page as a subpage. I have been doing that to the other pages and am happy to do it here too. So no need to worry about it for now. I will be creating a Wiki page and thread describing how we are moving to subpages for content specific to a country or state moving forward.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jondrush wrote:edit: nevermind, I figured out how to do sub-categories.
Subpages and sub categories are different. I can still cover the subpage requirements later for you.

Also I put the cities in a column format for easier viewing of the page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
jondrush wrote:Yes please, sub-page tutorial needed.
OK. I will work on one and set up some demo pages in the Wiki Help namespace
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I added a new feature to the template.

Parameter revision
The text can be altered to reflect the changes are based on a revision or a completely new set of information. This is related to the parameter |draft=, but fully independent of it. Use |revision=yes for text saying it is a revision. Do not include that parameter or set it to anything else to result in text saying the information is new.
The template also now includes a category that will be under the [[Category:Construction]] with either [[Category:New]] or [[Category:Revision]].

This means any current page using the construction template will say "This new page..." or "This new section...". If that is completely untrue for your page under construction and it is only a revision of a current page, then add |revision=yes to the template on your page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message