Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Large parts of Ireland map missing.

Post by Damiantaxi
Hi all,

I'm new at this so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I find that large parts of the map, I believe known as tiles are missing from my waze app. I've uninstalled and re-installed now a number of times but the result is always the same. I am in County Carlow on the N80 (Ballon) and use the app a lot in the Dublin region.

I am also finding that on occasions when the map is on screen as soon as auto zoom mode is enabled, the map will disappear.

I am on the o2 network with a Samsung S4.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
Damiantaxi

POSTER_ID:16879204

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Sounds like your data connection is not able to pull the tiles through. Have you tried doing a tile refresh whilst connected to a wiFi connection? Any difference?
Also try planning your route whilst on WiFi and then connecting to 4G and see how that goes. Waze should pull the tiles down for your planned route.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Just to rub salt into the wound, I am on 3 (three) so get to roam free in Ireland :)
When over in November last year I had no issues up and down the M11/N11 or a little further afield. reception was not always perfect but Waze never had a problem..

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by Damiantaxi
Thanks for the replies. I drove the N80 from Ballon to Bunclody this morning and tried the data refresh.
Voila, tiles appeared. When I'm in Dublin from Thursday I'll try the same.
Damiantaxi
Send a message

Post by Damiantaxi
I'm now beginning to think it might be an o2 problem. I just drove the n80 and n81 to Tullow and no maps or tiles after I data refreshed, yet my significant other half is on Vodafone and no problems at all.

Google maps works fine and the Hailo taxi mapping (The app for drivers not customers) work perfectly. Stranger and stranger.
Damiantaxi
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi Damian,
Damiantaxi wrote:I'm new at this so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I find that large parts of the map, I believe known as tiles are missing from my waze app. I've uninstalled and re-installed now a number of times but the result is always the same. I am in County Carlow on the N80 (Ballon) and use the app a lot in the Dublin region.

I am also finding that on occasions when the map is on screen as soon as auto zoom mode is enabled, the map will disappear.

I am on the o2 network with a Samsung S4.
Are the missing bits in your app tile-shaped, with straight edges? If that's the case, then it does sound like a date problem, as Des describes. Others have mentioned problems using Waze with O2 as well - there's another thread from a few months ago in this same forum about it - not that it has any solutions! I used to use O2 with Waze until about a year and a half ago, and it worked fine then (until the GPS on my old phone gave up...)

If the missing bits aren't tile-shaped, then it may well be that they just haven't been mapped yet! All of the Dublin area and most larger towns in Carlow, Kildare and Kilkenny have been mapped, and probably 97% of all M-, N- and R- roads around the country are in good shape, but there are still vast areas of the country with no non-major roads at all, and many small towns and villages are also missing. One day we might get to all of them...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Country manager and local champ for Ireland

Post by davidg666
Damiantaxi wrote:Thanks for the replies. I drove the N80 from Ballon to Bunclody this morning and tried the data refresh.
Voila, tiles appeared. When I'm in Dublin from Thursday I'll try the same.
Waze *should* also re-download whatever map tiles it needs when you plan a route, assuming you have a working data connection at the time. It only gets the tiles that overlap with the roads that your route uses, so if there are data problems along your route, you may not see other tiles adjacent to your route that you don't actually drive across.

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by davidg666
Hi again Damian,
Damiantaxi wrote:I'm now beginning to think it might be an o2 problem. I just drove the n80 and n81 to Tullow and no maps or tiles after I data refreshed, yet my significant other half is on Vodafone and no problems at all.

Google maps works fine and the Hailo taxi mapping (The app for drivers not customers) work perfectly. Stranger and stranger.
Have you seen this thread about problems with Waze and O2 in Ireland? The discussion probably doesn't help, but, um, at least you're probably not alone...

++David \ davidg666
davidg666
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message