Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by ply8808
As editors and users we all contribute to the waze community and "lifestyle" seems to be the wrong attribute to consider. (IMO)
If not for the original developers, programmers and beta testers and the continuing volunteer Champs, Wiki Managers, Country Managers, Area Managers, Beta Testers and editors, would we even have an app, or would the app be as well managed?
We should consider the time and knowledgeable resources and expertise that is contributed by both the users and the editors.
Volunteer managers and editors come from all lifestyles and backgrounds, to believe that they only sit in front of a computer all day is somewhat presumptuous at best.
It is best stated that these individuals have good work ethic and good values, as it not only takes a commitment to edit but the commitment to edit properly and study the ever changing aspects of the editing practice.
I am not devaluing the contributions of the user, they are an important part of the waze community but do feel a need to express the value of the contributions of the editors and those who manage it.
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by porubcan
I think that Foxo just pointed out that Waze penetration outside of metro-areas is still very low. several reasons:

* in rural areas the traffic is usually not that high (comparing to the city), so the main benefit of waze is getting less important. also there are less options for alternative routes in small cities and also domestic drivers knows small towns good enough to deal with actual situation.

* waze miss some basic functions when comparing to other satnavs - missing house numbers, PoIs, offline mode. and that's why many poeple use competitor's products (tomtom, navigon, garmin, sygic...)

* waze map is improving rapidly in cities first, rural areas improve slower. many users quit using waze after first try just because map condition was bad. gladly map is being improved all the time allowing user community to grow faster. also map condition in rural areas is very good these days in my country.

so either there will become troubles with traffic also in smaller towns or waze will improve features (devs) and reliability (map editors community) to get higher penetration outside metro areas.
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... 00k_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... onster.png
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Waze Beta Tester

Post by razor2k
DragonDon wrote:
Most points should ALWAYS BELONG ON THE ROAD, AMONG REAL TRAFFIC, not ever on the computer in a basement, ALONE!
We don't have basements here in FL! ;)
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by razor2k
petervdveen wrote:Well... I think with driving you do get more points then with editing.

I think if you drive a lot, you can get a million points in a year.

No editor has done that yet.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation Z710e met Tapatalk
You do. You get 5 pts/mile vs. 1.5 pts/edit.

However, getting a million points in a year driving you would have to drive 548 miles/day 365 days/Yr.

Seems almost impossible to me :)
razor2k
Send a message

Post by razor2k
daknife wrote:As others have noted there have been those who gamed the editing system just for points, but they are quickly identified and dealt with. As with most of us I like the points system, I like tracking my progress, but I edit to make the maps work, not for points. But that said, why should your drives on roads that editors made work, and editors keep updated with current construction improvements be of greater value (in the worthless points value system) than the contributions of the editors who made your drives via Waze even possible. Waze's base-map imports while better (usually) than nothing, are far from usable. Waze editors do deserve more points because they make your driving experience with Waze possible. Without user editors Waze would be years behind the curve, and a stand alone Tom Tom or Garmin with no real-time traffic capability and dynamic rerouting capability would still be the standard for in vehicle navigation. And every editor I've communicated with here also drives and makes reports, but also, based on their experience with the editing they are constantly looking for things that need to be fixed or improved, while most drivers may grumble about a road layout that looks weird or a troublesome turn restriction or may actually hit the report button when they have difficulties with navigation. But most drivers do nothing more than that. Editors not only spend hours and days editing but they also drive to and from work making the same traffic contributions as you do (probably better ones because we tend to have a better idea of what each type of possible report means and how it will be fixed) but we also are identifying areas that need to be improved, we are asking, begging, pleading, and crying for Waze to implement changes to the systems to resolve these issues, and we are the ones who reluctantly work out kludgy work-arounds (see my link to the Thru-turn for kludgy) to make the roads nice and navigable for you the driver to drive on.

And last of all, if you wish to start an honest discussion, YELLING is not the way to do so. Statements in all caps with bold and underlining is simply trying to scream your tantrum even louder.
IMHO, that is a problem for everyone else who is not a CM ( not singling you out :)) . CM's have access to "Allowing all edit scripts" So you can rack up the points (and edits) a lot quicker than all lower level editiors. The gap will just continue to widen.

As has been said before, I don't think this is fair but it is what it is. I've pretty much given up on reaching 200k..and now that the ranking system has made it even harder to advance in editing level with even higher edit counts...I'll just stay satisfied with what I'm doing (Knowing I'm doing my best and hopefully not screwing up the map) :cry:

At some point, editors below lvl 6 will get fed up and leave but if waze gets gobbled up by FB, the point is moot anyway.
razor2k
Send a message

Post by razor2k
harling wrote:Frankly, I don't get what the big deal is about points.

As for experienced editors "racking up points": many of us earned our stripes on the previous editor, which allowed only one edit per save. These days, racking up points very quickly gets you extra scrutiny by CMs, to make sure you aren't making useless edits for points.
From what I see, only CM's say "I don't get what the big deal is about points". When someone can be a member (and I use that term loosely) of the 700k club in 10 months (not you), obviously extra scrutiny is not part of that equation.

Not trying to be argumentative...but my head isn't buried in the sand either. Just calling a spade a spade.
razor2k
Send a message

Post by razor2k
harling wrote:I think it would be very revealing to turn the statement around and ask the plaintiff, "Who do you think should get the most points?" I wonder how often the answer will boil down to the guy in the mirror.
Maybe not as often as you would think...not everyone has an agenda;)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
razor2k
Send a message

Post by razor2k
sahls72 wrote: It would have saved me from an editor, with a sick sense of humor, that tried to route me through nothing but gas station parking lots and alleys. Of course I understand how difficult it would be to implement a system like this while keeping vandalism under control.
Can you permalink some examples?
razor2k
Send a message

Post by sahls72
I use Waze to navigate across the country. User reports are very important to me.

Most of my destinations drop me into very rural areas so I tend to find many unedited communities. Or even worse, partially edited communities. Therefore editors are very important to me.

I drive all day then edit in the hotel room. My reward is a selfish one and does not include points or gold stars. I can now use Waze when I revisit those communities. Without a doubt, the most important areas to keep in order are the major population centers but there are plenty of opportunities for points if you look outside of them.

I think a nice feature, to have would be allowing people to edit along routes before they drive off. Plan a trip on the live map, look for problems, then fix them before you hit the road. It would have saved me from an editor, with a sick sense of humor, that tried to route me through nothing but gas station parking lots and alleys. Of course I understand how difficult it would be to implement a system like this while keeping vandalism under control.
sahls72
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///WS6zp[/img] [img]https:///kw8w7[/img]

Post by sahls72
I can probably find the town again but it's already fixed. It was a small town I drove through on my way out to Fort Riley. I didn't report it because the editing was done in early 2012, the editor was lvl 1, and there wasn't much for GPS tracks in the area. I figured if an editor that was editing in 2012 and was still lvl 1, probably wasn't around anymore.

I will do better about reporting oddities in the future.
sahls72
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///WS6zp[/img] [img]https:///kw8w7[/img]