These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Borgholio
Ok guys, try this. Download an app called GPS Test. In it's settings menu, there are two buttons - Clear AGPS and Update AGPS.

Try clearing the AGPS and then updating it. That seemed to greatly improve GPS speed, accuracy, and reliability for me.
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

[img]https:///NvxDK[/img] [img]https:///ZPXMBb[/img]

Post by BryantPondKip
I have a 3-year old Samsung Galaxy J3. I had been struggling for months with the Waze "No GPS. Using approximate location" message -- basically, Waze would not work. I googled the problem, found multiple "fixes", tried them all, but none worked. I contacted Waze and they told me to download the "GPS Test" app and if it showed poor satellite reception, then the problem wasn't with their Waze. GPS Test did in fact show poor satellite reception, so I figured the problem was with my phone.

I was close to buying a new phone, but then as a last resort I called Samsung customer support. They offered a couple possible quick fixes (clear cache, clear data, reset settings) that did nothing, then they suggested I do a full "Factory Data Reset" under the phone's General Management settings option, which requires backing up everything, doing the reset, then restoring everything. I really didn't want to do that, so I called the local authorized Samsung repair shop ("UbreakIfix" (honest!) in Dedham, MA). They said they really couldn't help me with a J3 phone, but they also suggested I do the "Factory Data Reset" using Samsung's Smart Switch app. They were right!

I did the backup, factory data reset, restore, and for good measure, I deleted and re-installed Waze, and it's now running fine again! The "GPS Test" app now finds and uses about 15 satellites, whereas before it could maybe find 5 or 6, but couldn't use any. The whole process took about an hour, but I didn't lose any data, messages, or photos (or anything else!). The problem was resolved! And my guess is that other apps are now running better and faster too, so it was really worth the effort!

In hindsight, the problem was with my phone and not with Waze, but who really knows for sure? Either way, the solution should have been easier to find. Too bad we're now up to 34 pages of comments on this issue -- that's amazing (and kind of sad too). Waze, if you're listening, please make solutions like this easier to find! Hopefully, by documenting this, I'm saving some other Waze users some time, effort, and frustration!
BryantPondKip
Send a message

Post by Carardo
Also, make sure you are somewhat outdoors. Sometimes when you are indoor, your phone does not pick up a gps sat signal. If you are outdoor, or in your car and are not getting GPS signal, then you have another problem...

:? :? :?
Carardo
Send a message

Post by carm0
Hello,

In the morning now for about 3 weeks now. Out of 5 days maybe 2 days I do not have an issue. I will not be able to Navigate properly using Waze. I am using a pixel and Android Auto. EVERYTHING IS UP TO DATE. I switch over to Google maps and it works fine, switch back to Waze and it may or may not work. In the last few days ago after 6 minutes of driving using Google maps because Waze would not work I tried to switch back to Waze since Gmaps would ALWAYS work. It still did not lock on to the location. I pulled pulled the plug so it would not connect to Android Auto , and I get the message "WAZE is connecting to GPS (https://imgur.com/VlC4rBU). Prior to this I even wiped the data uninstalled and reinstalled and went back a few version and the issue still persisted.

This is not an issue with my phone and its GPS because maps works flawlessly, and this is NOT an Android Auto Issue as I tested this without AA. I checked the location permissions and they are fine according to the Online help page. This is a Waze app issue that that was introduced in the last few build and has persisted. Needless to say this is annoying. I am hoping a solution can be found soon
carm0
Send a message
Last edited by carm0 on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by carm0
kubiakWU wrote:In the past week or so I have started getting this message whenever I try to use Waze: "Waze is connecting to GPS"

Eventually I will get a message saying "No GPS. Showing approximate location." Or, I will get a message saying that it is unable to connect to the internet at all and to try again later, then it won't show me any directions at all.

Google Maps works fine, as did some other map app that I downloaded as a test. Location services aren't an issue with any other app either. I am either on WiFi or have strong cell service everywhere I've tried to use it.

Any advice? I want to keep using Waze, I love it and I've used it for 4 years! But, it's practically unusable in this condition.

Phone INFO: Pixel 2XL, Android Ver 9, Jan 5 security patch

I have been having this issue too ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=181169&start=310#p1934136 ). It is not you it is the app 100% as I have done a lot of this as well. I even threw in a screen shot of the issue.
carm0
Send a message

Post by carm0
this is a very common issue as of lately at least for me. Maps works and acquires location and navigation perfectly while Waze struggles to even show where I am even after navigating for a few minutes , then it goes haywire, my nave arrow symbol goes to a dot and does not track, then it will then it wont, it has really been a big issue since the beginning of the year. I tried rolling back to no avail. even wiped my phone 2 months ago for another issue, back again. I fail to see how this is a issue unless it is Google screwing with it which I would not put it past them to do so.
carm0
Send a message

Post by carolineruth91
I have upgraded to iOS 11.2.6 and the gps on my iPhone 6 has stopped working in the Waze app. I have turned off Location Services, done a hard reset and turned Location Services back on. I have logged out of my account and logged back in. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it. Nothing has worked. HELP!!!
carolineruth91
Send a message

Post by carolineruth91
I just updated to 11.4 and it did not fix the issue.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'the logs'?

Thank you.
carolineruth91
Send a message

Post by carrymarry
Hello,
As you know Waze app is censored in Iran, therefore I turn on my VPN first and then go to Waze. the map loads, the search box is working and everything is fine except GPS connection. Waze connects the internet successfully but this message is appeared: "No GPS. Showing approximate location" and I can't use the map.
GPS is on, location permission of Waze is on and even other map services like Google maps work fine with GPS.
I've tried to reinstall the app and have set battery usage on no restriction but nothing has changed.
Sometimes after a while (about 10 minutes) when I'm on the app finally it connects GPS and I can go on. I have tried with my 2 phones: Xiaomi redmi note 8 and Lenovo A7000 and still have the same problem. I did not have this problem before.
Can anybody guide me, please?
Thank you./
carrymarry
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I found that sometimes waze will prevent a GPS fix from occurring. Thus, when I open waze and it cannot get a fix, if I then open another app that tries to get GPS data (e.g. Google maps or GPS status) those apps can't get a fix either. If I then reboot and open one of those other apps first, the GPS gets a fix, if I then open waze while the GPS is providing good data, waze works fine.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902