Live Map

Post by CBenson
Is there any documentation of the Live Map in the wiki other than this page: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Live_map

In particular is there any explanation on how to share a route?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:1005502

Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I dislike having to enter a search location first, before I can enter a destination. And you can't change the routing time until after it gets the initial route. Not optimal for my use.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:...and then I noticed it at the bottom right.
And I have it bottom left?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
I was working on a proposal as well. Feel free to take or ignore whatever is useful.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:CBenson/Live_Map
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
This looks great to me.

The last sentence of the "Navigation box" section is missing something, but I'm not sure exactly what you are saying.
This box will also automatically get filled up when Selection box to pick the origin and destination points.
I'm envisioning using this to give to new forum participants complaining about routes so that they can provide the share route link from the live map for the problematic route. The instructions for creating a route are spread out, but I can deal with that.

You don't mention my pet-peeve with the live map. To get the selection box you state:
Use the mouse to left-click any point on the map that does not have any Wazer or report icons.
However, I also cannot click on a point on a road that is highlighted with traffic to get the selection box.

The opposing arrows to swap the origin and the destination are working for me. I have other problems. If I ask for multiple routes one after the other, some of the previous pins will remain on the live map. Also a new entry in the origin or destination box isn't always recognized (that is doesn't always cause the find route button to become active). I click the opposing arrows twice to activate the find routes button when this happens.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
It didn't take long for this page to go obsolete. The live map interface seems to have changed a bit. No search/navigation buttons anymore, edit link at bottom.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Doesn't look like it. I also checked nanoRep and found nothing. I am surprised this has not come up before.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am working on a proposed page now. I will link to it when closer to completion.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Cool. I incorporated your content into the page I worked on last night and this morning. It is amazing how many hours it takes to bang out a page that seems so simple.

New Wiki Live Map page.

I found a few problems/bugs in the Live Map that I had not noticed before, so we may want to add notes on things that do not currently work as I explained. For example the opposing arrows to swap origin and destination do not appear to work.

Let me know if I missed anything in Live Map or if we should make other changes.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Great feedback!
CBenson wrote:The last sentence of the "Navigation box" section is missing something, but I'm not sure exactly what you are saying.
:oops: Probably from creating the page at 2:00 am. :D Fixed.
CBenson wrote:The instructions for creating a route are spread out, but I can deal with that.
We should fix that. It was not intentional, but a function of describing each element separately. I believe the section for selecting points on the map needed a link back to the search button. See if my change addressed your concern. If not, do you have any specific recommendations we should consider?
CBenson wrote:You don't mention my pet-peeve with the live map. To get the selection box you state:
Use the mouse to left-click any point on the map that does not have any Wazer or report icons.
However, I also cannot click on a point on a road that is highlighted with traffic to get the selection box.
I did notice that as well and forgot to add it. Done.
CBenson wrote:The opposing arrows to swap the origin and the destination are working for me.
Good to know. Must be one of my scripts preventing operation. Hmmm, and now I cannot make it fail. :roll: I have a few other map editing issues that I think are unique to me and my scripts so no worries.
CBenson wrote:I have other problems. If I ask for multiple routes one after the other, some of the previous pins will remain on the live map.
I too was having problems with pins and permalinks going to the wrong places after multiple searches. Maybe we need to add a temporary note saying there may be a bug that can be worked around by restarting the Live Map page. What about Flush Cache while still on the page? Do you want to see if that helps your situation?
CBenson wrote:Also a new entry in the origin or destination box isn't always recognized (that is doesn't always cause the find route button to become active). I click the opposing arrows twice to activate the find routes button when this happens.
I too have seen some strange issues with the from/to boxes that I did not yet isolate. Maybe the Flush Cache work around might work for this one too?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message