Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Bigbear3764
CBenson wrote:What's wrong with davielde's sheet?
Can a second link for Illinois be added to that list? This one here is for the whole state and can be easier to pan around on: http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/gai.htm?mt=fc

I haven't crossed checked all the counties, but one urban area in Chicago, the class is different between the PDF version and the whole state version.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by bretmcvey
The checkbox isn't functional in the app from what I've seen. Original plans were to deprecate the type, but I'm not entirely sure that's still the plans.

We do have an ask out for more information from staff to better understand how things will ultimately work so we can revise guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by bz2012
Paragraph needing possible revision:
Emergency Vehicle and DOT Service Roads Service road.png[edit]
Emergency.jpg "Emergency and Authorized Vehicles Only" and DOT Service Roads are to be treated as Non-drivable roads. These are found primarily through the median of divided highways to connect opposite direction lanes. If mapped, they should not be connected to any drivable road, with properties set to road type Private Road, and lock the segment at as high a rank as possible, up to rank 5.
I believe the word I have shown in red above should be removed, or the rest of the sentence revised to remove the inherent contradiction (why bother to have it at all, if it is not connected to a drivable road and why bother to set it to private type?)
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
If we leave em out, sure as heck, some EMT or cop running Waze will use the turn around, and Waze will spawn a MR saying connect points A and B. :)
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
What about turn-arounds that allow non-emergency traffic but prohibit parking (except in an emergency)?

There are a couple on the causeway across Lake Pontchartrain that have signs that make that point.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Have had some UR's complaining that they should not be mapped at all (even though legal) because it is hazardous to make a u-turn there, with the high speed traffic. :(
[Darwin Awards candidates fail to take traffic into account.]
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
banished wrote:...
A general observation -- maybe more a perception -- it seems the Waze wiki has become as much about why decisions were made as about conveying the how-to instructions, themselves. I'd call this "wiki bloat," but one man's bloat may be another man's treasure.
Knowing why something is being done helps me remember what to do.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I believe that this is a worthwhile effort.

I would revise
The following roads are to be classified, at minimum, as Minor Highway:
Roads classified in FHWA's functional classification as Other Arterials.
Roads in state, D.C., and territorial highway systems.
to read
The following roads are to be classified, at minimum, as Minor Highway:
Roads classified in FHWA's functional classification as Other Arterials or Minor Arterials.
Roads signed according to a state, D.C., or territorial highway system.
My concern with "Other Arterial" is that some functional lists use the terms "other principal arterial" and "minor arterial." In those lists the word "other" only appears with "principal" which could be confusing when determining what "other arterials" are.

With regard to state numbering systems, one issue that hasn't been addressed is the difference between official designation and how the road is actually signed. In my experience, the signage deviates from "official designation" for clarity and to better reflect reality on the ground. So where signage conflicts with "official designation," I suggest following the signage. In Maryland every road that is the responsibility of the state highway administration to maintain has a Maryland route number. But typically if the road is not a significant route from point A to point B, the road is not signed with the route number (and can be classed a local road by the MD SHA). Similarly my recollection in Pennsylvania is that many roads are given 4 digit numbers, but these 4 digit route numbers are not used in the keystone route number signs and thus should not be considered minor highways. So to me what really matters is the sign on the road.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Do we need to define at-grade connector? Specifically are roads at different grades required to meet the definition of "freeway" and "ramp." This comes up for roads like this. In this case there are no intersections that permit traffic to cross US-50. US-50 has an unbroken median. This combined with the fact that there are only limited access points to US-50 - that is the businesses do not have driveways that are directly served by US-50, makes me think this is a freeway. However, Duke St, Thomson Creek Rd, Castle Marina Rd, Cox Neck Rd, Dominion Rd, Chester Station Ln, Piney Creek Rd, S Piney Rd, Dundee Ave, Main St, Piney Narrows Rd etc all provide access to US-50 at junctions where there is no grade separation, because there is simply no access provided from one side of US-50 to other on these roads. There are BGSs at these exits on US-50 just like at the grade-separated interchanges.

So in the freeway definition it is stated that there should be "no at-grade intersections." I think that US-50 in this stretch meets the requirement for no at-grade intersections and the exit and entrance roads are not at-grade connectors and are thus properly ramps. However, given the current guidance and the proposed guidance if you interpret these access points "at-grade" then the US-50 would be a major highway and the exits and entrances should not be ramps.

I would state that if you can't cross the highway without either passing over or under the highway then all exits and entrances with acceleration and deceleration lanes along that highway should be considered "grade-separated."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
It is classed as "other freeway expressway." Thus you would need to apply:
The following roads shall be classified as Freeway :
Roads classified in FHWA's functional classification as Other Freeways and Expressways which meet the following criteria:
Entrance via ramps only, typically with acceleration zones.
Exit via ramps only, typically with deceleration zones.
No at-grade intersections.
No stop lights (except sometimes on ramps).
No stop signs.
Thus, the question becomes: what is an "at-grade intersection."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message