[New Page] Median U-turn intersection

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page] Median U-turn intersection

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Indeed, although "J-turn" applies only to RCUTs and not MUTIs.

FWIW, Wikipedia uses "Superstreet" for the RCUT page name, and "Michigan left" for the MUTI page name. I really wouldn't mind using both of those here... I had no trouble referring to Michigan lefts as such years before I ever went to Michigan. The abbreviations seem a little hypertechnical.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 pm

sketch wrote:Indeed, although "J-turn" applies only to RCUTs and not MUTIs.

FWIW, Wikipedia uses "Superstreet" for the RCUT page name, and "Michigan left" for the MUTI page name. I really wouldn't mind using both of those here... I had no trouble referring to Michigan lefts as such years before I ever went to Michigan. The abbreviations seem a little hypertechnical.

Normally the Wikipedia pages use the technical name for an item and then on the page they say "also known as" and add the others. All the names can redirect to the page [[Median U-turn intersection]].

I believe we have the following choices:
  • [[Median U-turn intersection (MUTI)]]
  • [[Median U-turn intersection]]
  • [[MUTI]]
  • [[Michigan left]]

I still propose we use [[Median U-turn intersection]] for this page.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Normally the Wikipedia pages use the technical name for an item and then on the page they say "also known as" and add the others. All the names can redirect to the page [[Median U-turn intersection]].

I believe we have the following choices:
  • [[Median U-turn intersection (MUTI)]]
  • [[Median U-turn intersection]]
  • [[MUTI]]
  • [[Michigan left]]

I still propose we use [[Median U-turn intersection]] for this page.

I'm OK with following many WP MOS-type guidelines, but we always need to bear in mind the different purposes and audiences.

When I first came on board, I had some prior knowledge of mapping (because I'm just crazy), and I still found the Waze wiki unapproachable. I would like to always bear in mind that our first audience is newbie editors, and our second audience is experienced editors who are encountering something they are either have had trouble grasping or unfamiliar with (or need a refresher).

That said, how do you think this should be handled in particular?
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:47 pm

I personally like Wikipedia's choice of titles for the two articles and think we should follow suit. A note on this and the AGC page saying that Michigan lefts are not just used in Michigan is plenty enough to assuage potential confusion.

We could use "J-turn" instead of "Superstreet" because (1) we're more concerned with the connectors than the street itself and (2) we don't need an article on the (totally badass) driving maneuver with the same name.

I agree with qwaletee, the Wiki should be written in such a way that newbie editors can understand it and aren't scared off by it. "Michigan left" was changed to "MUTI" in the first place by a Michigan-based editor (hey, davielde) in order to make it nationally applicable, but perhaps those who live in Michigan don't realize that "Michigan left" is a common name nationwide too.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm

qwaletee wrote:I'm OK with following many WP MOS-type guidelines, but we always need to bear in mind the different purposes and audiences.

When I first came on board, I had some prior knowledge of mapping (because I'm just crazy), and I still found the Waze wiki unapproachable. I would like to always bear in mind that our first audience is newbie editors, and our second audience is experienced editors who are encountering something they are either have had trouble grasping or unfamiliar with (or need a refresher).

You are absolutely correct. We have not spent much time with the basic pages. I only recently started working on a replacement for the opening USA page that has not been touched in two years. Do you want to help me work on it? I forgot many of the frustrations when I first started. Maybe you can help me remember them?

For this page I am happy to have you also look at the page from the perspective of how new users might see it (not saying you are new now ;) ).

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 pm

sketch wrote:I personally like Wikipedia's choice of titles for the two articles and think we should follow suit. A note on this and the AGC page saying that Michigan lefts are not just used in Michigan is plenty enough to assuage potential confusion.

We could use "J-turn" instead of "Superstreet" because (1) we're more concerned with the connectors than the street itself and (2) we don't need an article on the (totally badass) driving maneuver with the same name.

I am open to any consensus of the group. All pages can have redirects from all other names and the other names will be added to the page overviews.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

[New Page] Median U-turn intersection

Postby davielde » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:24 am

sketch wrote:I agree with qwaletee, the Wiki should be written in such a way that newbie editors can understand it and aren't scared off by it. "Michigan left" was changed to "MUTI" in the first place by a Michigan-based editor (hey, davielde) in order to make it nationally applicable, but perhaps those who live in Michigan don't realize that "Michigan left" is a common name nationwide too.

We're too busy enjoying Pure Michigan to really pay attention to outsiders.

MUTI was selected to make it more universal, but it also seemed to make it easier to include all of the variants, many of which had cool names with acronyms too. MUTI was also chosen as the the primary synonym for at least two other reasons:

1) Every word in "Median U-Turn Intersection" stresses what it is. The maneuver occurs at major *intersections* and not just any unsigned crossover, and it involves a split road median.

2) "Michigan Left" is a term that seems to have been coined by a journalist twenty years after it originated, and it still is not found in much MDOT literature. Median U-Turn Crossover and Median U-Turn Intersection is.

If MUTI is too technical, I'm fine with adopting "Michigan Left" or "Michigan Left Turn" as long as we're *certain* that it doesn't cause confusion nationally, and as long as enough emphasis is placed on "intersection" and "median" elsewhere in the article.
[ img ]
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan
davielde

Postby qwaletee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I'm OK with following many WP MOS-type guidelines, but we always need to bear in mind the different purposes and audiences.

You are absolutely correct. We have not spent much time with the basic pages. I only recently started working on a replacement for the opening USA page that has not been touched in two years. Do you want to help me work on it? I forgot many of the frustrations when I first started. Maybe you can help me remember them?

For this page I am happy to have you also look at the page from the perspective of how new users might see it (not saying you are new now ;) ).

Sure, though I may be time limited. Let's break up the task into manageable chunks, and I'll grab a few.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:28 am

qwaletee wrote:Sure, though I may be time limited. Let's break up the task into manageable chunks, and I'll grab a few.

I know the feeling. I will send you a PM to some of the pages I am working to update.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:14 am

I'll just note, before this discussion I had no idea what a J-turn/Reduced Conflict Intersection (RCI)/Restricted Crossing U-Turn Intersection (RCUT)/Super-Street Median Crossover was called. I have driven them but had never heard them called anything. I had to search for a name before I realized the intersections referred to in the draft as variants were what I was thinking of.

The only term I knew before this discussion was "Michigan Left."
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion