Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:I'm OK with following many WP MOS-type guidelines, but we always need to bear in mind the different purposes and audiences.

When I first came on board, I had some prior knowledge of mapping (because I'm just crazy), and I still found the Waze wiki unapproachable. I would like to always bear in mind that our first audience is newbie editors, and our second audience is experienced editors who are encountering something they are either have had trouble grasping or unfamiliar with (or need a refresher).
You are absolutely correct. We have not spent much time with the basic pages. I only recently started working on a replacement for the opening USA page that has not been touched in two years. Do you want to help me work on it? I forgot many of the frustrations when I first started. Maybe you can help me remember them?

For this page I am happy to have you also look at the page from the perspective of how new users might see it (not saying you are new now ;) ).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:I personally like Wikipedia's choice of titles for the two articles and think we should follow suit. A note on this and the AGC page saying that Michigan lefts are not just used in Michigan is plenty enough to assuage potential confusion.

We could use "J-turn" instead of "Superstreet" because (1) we're more concerned with the connectors than the street itself and (2) we don't need an article on the (totally badass) driving maneuver with the same name.
I am open to any consensus of the group. All pages can have redirects from all other names and the other names will be added to the page overviews.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:Sure, though I may be time limited. Let's break up the task into manageable chunks, and I'll grab a few.
I know the feeling. I will send you a PM to some of the pages I am working to update.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
The page or subpage that it will become should be a name that covers everything on the page. If we select "Median U-turn intersections (MUTI)", then we just need to be sure everything on the page is an MUTI. If it contains Michigan lefts, then we can add redirects for that and any other name that might be referenced on the page.

My assumption is that most people will only find this page after linking from the JSG anyway.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
qwaletee wrote:I don't agree with the single-page-per-intersection idea.
Unless you want to totally rethink JSG and how we structure the information as a whole, please don't do this.
The idea is that the JSG is a single page with at least an entry and image for every type of junction. Each of the more complex junctions like MUTI, Jughandles, etc, would have a subpage with all the details of that particular junction type. That way the JSG lets people scan the images if they don't know the names of the interchange, and then they can drill into the details by clicking on the links for that junction type.

Today the JSG is already too big to scan through and maintain. We are discussing these JSG changes in viewtopic.php?f=276&t=86666.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
These are really good.

I recommend we create subpages of the JSG as we have been doing with other sections previously in the JSG. We can create a section on special junction types and list each one with an image of what it looks like. That would then link to the subpage.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:Should they be on subpages? Is this stuff too long for sections?
The JSG itself is already too big to add these directly, which is why we moved some of the larger sections to sub pages.

If you are proposing we have a single subpage with all these Special Intersections, I could support that since they are currently pretty small. Then if they got too big over time with other data we had not considered, we could always break them into individual subpages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:Yeah that sounds best. Intersections, Special intersections, Interchanges, and maybe Special interchanges. And Controlling turn instructions.
For the single subpage (I assume that is what you meant sounded good), we need to come up with the one subpage name for those 4 sections.

Or maybe we have one subpage of every kind of [[Junction Style Guide/Named Intersections]] and another of every kind of [[Junction Style Guide/Named Interchanges]].

I am open to other thoughts as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
One thing that could be added into the wiki for the new Median U-Turn Intersection

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-86.06 ... 01&env=usa

MUTI's where the turn around segments have cross traffic from the left & right.
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by MeridianHills
davielde wrote:
MeridianHills wrote:One thing that could be added into the wiki for the new Median U-Turn Intersection
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-86.06 ... 01&env=usa
MUTI's where the turn around segments have cross traffic from the left & right.
That may not be a bad idea, particular since there are a number of odd situations that may arise where the Michigan Left instruction does not apply to all traffic crossing the physical segment. In that case, there is sometimes a need for a "logical" separate segment.

Here's a fairly common one where the median crossover serves as the entrance for an intersecting street, where it was important to preserve the turn instruction with the proper street name, and I've come across two or three other things similar to it.

To eliminate as much confusion as possible, perhaps we could have a small "guide" with a table and sample pics for different configurations, similar to what is done for the Road Type Guide on the roundabout page.

I would support a new guide, being as the example we both worked on required some ingenuity being as the project was done by the City of Fishers and not INDOT so no real blueprints of the project could be found. We ended up creating this one with a fairly blind eye, and I can definitely see where other editors would be unsure on how to take on projects like that one.
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message