Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
bart99gt wrote:However, when it comes to urban classification, what the DOT classifies the road as, and what Waze expects the road to be, in my observation, diverge somewhat. I make the assumption that Waze shows such a strong preference for MH because it is expecting a road that is multi-lane, with a higher (probably 50+ mph) limit, and few controlled intersections.
I don't think this is the case. Waze works in say rural Africa where there are no limited access roads or multi-lane roads with 50+ mph limits and few controlled intersections. Yet what waze seemed to expect in order to work is that the major roads connecting cities that are used for long distance travel needed to be major highways or freeways. Waze will assign default speeds based on road type. Once the road is traveled on this becomes moot. The problems with road type are due to the default speed where no data is gathered (the windy mountain road with no cell coverage that you mention), pruning decisions and traffic highlighting.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I agree as well. This guidance is more objective and will bring greater consistency to the map.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I was looking for US-89 Scenic signs and haven't found them yet. What I composed before your post was the following: I think the key is Russblau's point that what matters is how the highway is signed. It doesn't matter whether the road has some "scenic" or "national" designation if it isn't signed with a U.S. Route shield with that designation. Thus, US-89A should be treated like any US route because its signed that way. US-40 Scenic should be treated as scenic route because it is signed that way.

As an aside in looking for US-89A signs in streetview, I got confused with state 89A and saw this sign, which makes it look like someone keeps routes around for their historical significance alone.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree that emergency crossovers don't need to be mapped. But I would note that I have received multiple URs in Maryland (possibly by the same user, but at fairly distant locations) noting the absence of crossovers. I noted that we don't typically map emergency crossovers because they are not driveable by the common driver. The users still wanted to see them on the map because 1) they use them as landmarks, 2) they could be useful information in an emergency, and 3) (I think the users' primary reason) they are where the police speed traps are typically located in the area. I have never seen a UR complaining about emergency crossovers that are are mapped as unconnected private roads.

EDIT: Although the only one I can find still on the map that I did following this guidance in response to the URs is here and it doesn't really show on the client map at all.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Waze is collecting examples of dangerous left turns - meaning turns that are legal to make but could be unsafe. So if you specific examples, please provide them to a Champ so Waze can investigate to formulate a solution.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:I don't advocate putting any type of crossover on Interstate highways since it's never legal for any passenger vehicle to route on them, and they are bound to cause problems.
I would have agreed with you up until this post was made:
dbraughlr wrote:Can anyone speak to what policy exists for crossovers which are legal and useful?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree that the crossover looks like a accident waiting to happen. But I have no information on whether it is legal or useful. So if we can agree that there aren't useful crossovers on interstates then I'm am on board with the general elimination of crossovers on interstates.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
qwaletee wrote:I don't quite get this. Did you mean to say that only MUTI and RCUT are designed to supply a route directly to a different road on the other side? Because any type of U-turn potentially provides indirect access to roads that are connected to the other side of a dual carriageway, so long as it is a "U-turn" that Waze can make.
But that direct/indirect distinction is significant. If the crossover segment is supplying the direct route to the road on the other side, then you want the crossover segment to be of type that will not cause routes over the crossover to be pruned. If the crossover segment is only supplying indirect access to roads that are connected on the other side, then it can be street type and routes over pruned from consideration for longer routes. The only direct routes such a crossover is providing is to origins or destinations near the crossover, and such routes will not be pruned as the street type segment will be near an end of the route.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message