Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page] Map tiles

Post by
I have not yet created content for this page, but on it I believe we should cover the following:
  • Definition - Describe it briefly (probably just the into paragraph)
  • Theory of operation - Describe why they exist and how they work (at a basic level)
  • Updates - What does and does not trigger an update
  • Other?
We do know that the following do NOT cause a tile update:
  • Camera updates
Waze has stated that the following WILL cause a tile update in the area of the segment being edited:
  • Turn Restrictions
  • Elevation
  • Lock levels
Since turn restrictions do not change editor, our initial assumption was incorrect that only mods that change the editor name would update the tiles.

I have a pending question asking about whether the following also trigger an update:
  • Adding or editing House Numbers
  • Changes to Street/Alternate/City/State name
  • Adding toll indicator
  • Geometry changes to a segment
  • Adding a new road through WME
  • Adding a new road by paving in the client
  • Adding or editing a landmark
I am awaiting their reply on this list so we can move it to the Wiki.

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by davielde
With regard to landmarks, here is an interesting screenshot that I took today. There used to be a rather large landmark for a state recreation area covering a few tiles in addition to this one, but looking in the editor, the landmark was recently deleted either just before the freeze or perhaps in the beta editor since the freeze. In the app, this tile-sized and tile-shaped remnant exists even when I manually refresh the map data, and I can even see it on separate devices as well. In LiveMap, however, nothing appears, consistent with the landmark deletion.

Is there a chance that when a landmark is added or edited, only the tiles that actually have geometry nodes (or perhaps even just the center point of the polygon) have an update triggered? If what I have here is what I think it is, tiles simply "covered" by large landmarks are not updated when the landmark changes. There are only a few road segments in that area, and none of them have been touched since November, so nothing recently has prompted a tile update.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
dbraughlr wrote:Perhaps just deleting a landmark doesn't cause a tile update but when the landmark is immediately replaced by a new landmark covering the same tiles, there is no way to tell.
It would be worthwhile to test unless kentsmith9 or others know that this is already not the case. Lake St Clair would be a good candidate for anyone with beta editor and CM rights.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by dbraughlr
Perhaps just deleting a landmark doesn't cause a tile update but when the landmark is immediately replaced by a new landmark covering the same tiles, there is no way to tell.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Hi Gadgetmts

Thank you for your contribution.
However, usually, we propose the contribution in a page hosted in our User: namespace. Then, after reviewing and approval of the community, we push the change on the Main namespace.

This is not a significant change and above that, this is somehow already validated as it comes from the Glossary, but keep this best practice in mind for your future contributions.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Of course. you'll find that in this sticky thread.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
PesachZ wrote:
voludu2 wrote:and updated the wiki accordingly.
Did you first get consensus from everyone before you made that change? ;)

voludu2 wrote:That is interesting.
So a new area place is immediately available for place search by name.
Or a new alt name, or name change.

But the appearance on the map -- e.g. change to shape -- happens at tile update.

What about name change Appearance on the map for area places? Does that wait for tile update?

What about a segment name change, or addition of a new alt name for the segment?
Is that available for search by road name immediately? Or not until tile update?
Waze app "fulfills" search results for segment name for roads that don't exist in Google. What about for roads that do exist in Google maps?
Any Waze confirmation or test on this? I'm sure there have been enough alt name edits done to prove if this happens or not.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
Fredo-p wrote:Did you first get consensus from everyone before you made that change? ;)
Since when did we forget how to take a joke?

Also, will this include Live Map updates as well? I would like to have Lime Maps included in the map updated.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
I can tell you for a fact that Live Map updates are slower than a geriatric slug on a salted snowed-in street. Maybe we can ask Karen to get an official word from the Devs. Last time I tested, it took 2+ weeks for place area additions/changes to show in Live Map. It also took almost one week for road changes to show.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
PesachZ wrote:Keep in mind place area changes don't trigger an update, so it may not have been included in the first batch of updates after you made the change.

A good majority of those place changes, if not all, happen to coincide with segment updates. No, I didn't do a segment update just to trigger a tile update.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by GadgetJ
Great discussion. Knowledge is delicious.

I added the Map Tile definition from the Glossary page to the Map Tiles page: Theory of Operation section. It seems to fit that section, but... your thoughts?

Mostly, I wanted to capture the Tile Size on the Map Tiles page as that question comes up often.
GadgetJ
Send a message
Jeremy - GadgetJ - Work hard, WAZE harder