Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page Proposal] Places

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I quickly took the current voting (global) for how to map Places (Area vs Point) and threw it on a subpage of my profile real quick just to start it off. It's messy and includes little detail and no pretty screenshots or anything. Just whether to map as Point or Area.

<link removed>

The Places page has been moved out of my user space and into the Main wiki space:

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:So does this mean that we plan to map all places locations, that is all locations that may be searched for by something other than an address, including essentially all retail business.
Yes, that is the plan. I don't think I'm jumping the gun too much, so here's a snap of a Point Place gas station.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:So one thing that might be useful to navigation that we are not marking is a collection of address (e.g. an apartment building or a named subdivision or neighborhood), correct?

Seems to me we also need some guidance where to put the point. Can waze route to the closest entrance for a gas station, particularly if the station is on the corner?
No collections can be supported, if I understand your query.

Area Places have a single destination target at this time. Navigation ends at this point. A Point is the destination target.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Would this page be easier if it were broken into two main sections for Point and Area?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DwarfLord wrote:So, do I understand correctly:
  • - That there are now 108 "location" categories and each one of them can be classified either as an Area or a Point, effectively giving 216 location configurations?

- And that, of those 216 configurations, at least 108 -- possibly more -- are going to be fully available via WME to any editor but classified in community wikis as "do not use"?
No, I don't think that's correct. With Places, we are opening up the creation of Area and Point Places as this is Waze's fully supported POI solution.

There are lots of categories. A Place can be assigned multiple categories, which makes great sense for a place that has, say, a department store, supermarket/grocery, jewelry, pharmacy and electronics store all inside one large store.

Let me know if that doesn't adequately address your concern, as I'm not sure I fully grasped it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FYI, I converted the page to a table. I think it's easier to read.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DwarfLord wrote:It doesn't really address my concern, which has to do with what I fear may be terrific editor overhead involved in maintaining Places and in educating and mopping up after editors who don't read the wikis. But I think I will be quiet now since I don't really know anything about Places yet.
Oh, there will be lots of that, and likely more at the beginning and then standard policing after that just like we do now for Landmarks, and for segments and other stuff in general anyway.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:... for some reason the headings you have suppress the sortability icons.
The background CSS appeared to override the visibility of the sorting arrows. When I hovered over location, I got the tooltip showing the controls were there. They must be displayed as a background of the cell or something. I changed the background CSS to be more specifically "background-color" so now the override of the image doesn't happen. I used that color because it is a "waze color." :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've made several additions and edits. Do you think we should make a new official page yet?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davielde wrote:Does the 50m minimum for landmarks to display in the client also apply to Areas? If so, that would helpful to have on the page.
We don't know how display of Areas in the app will change. An Area Place is the same thing as the "old" landmark, so one could surmise that initially, nothing changes in that regard.
davielde wrote:Also, the pictures display Areas that are not snapped to roads, which was the guidance for landmarks. For anyone new who may not have been familiar with landmarks, could the page provide some clarification stating that while the Area target can be placed on a segment, the boundaries of the polygon should not be snapped to segments?
On the Landmarks page, there is only one mention of the word "snap," so if snapping was a guideline, it wasn't documented properly that I can see. I've never been in favor of it and wasn't aware it was official. If this snapping guidance should be official, then I'm OK with us adding it, but will also need some new screenshots. :)
vectorspace wrote:Specific to your post on this: If we have a large Park area that is a tourist destination, and within it are various campgrounds, visitor centers, trail heads, etc., how are we going to mark the fine detail and have people route to that fine detail rather than only a big blob of a park? I didn't see a lot of detail described in the "Outdoor" category on your Wiki page.
The stop-point or target for Area landmarks is covered currently in https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:AlanOfT ... or_a_Place. Perhaps, to align with nomenclature for House Numbers, I call it "stop point" rather than "navigation point"?

As Andy wrote, we hope for future support for additional named navigation points within an Area.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message