Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
t0cableguy wrote:Also that private road to parking lot road and vice versa may not incur a penalty as expected.
Why not?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
My thought was to get into best editing practices. So I'm trying to address this problem here as well: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=158325#p1205075
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Daknife
Okay I'm way behind the curve on this discussion despite it only being a few days old and having 12 pages to skim through (bad timing having to process and adapt to the new Places update and almost missed this as well.) But I disagree with US highways "Always" being Major. In my opinion view and experience a Major is a large multi-lane road with at-grade connectors and possiblly traffic lights that is not a freeway. In my experience across the West at least, thousands of miles of US highways are mapped in as Minor and for the most part that is the correct designation as most of these roads are simple two way roads, with one lane of traffic in each direction. Not Major by any definition other than that they are designated as US Highways and are maintained with federal funding rather than state.

If this is to be the standard it will be followed, but that means thousands of miles of US Hwy's across the nation need to be gone over converting to Major even though traffic flow has not changed on them since they were imported as Minor hwy's and to what benefit? US or SR both can be Major or Minor based on traffic flow or construction. The FC does make sense to a degree, but I don't agree that all US hwy's are automatically Major because they are not. They need the Hwy designation rather than primary or street for the distance routing advantage, but that is it.

Take a look at this location what is the functional difference between the two roads? They are both built identically, one is part of a US hwy stretching from Canada to Mexico, the other is a State Hwy.

(I also admit to a slight dislike for the Major type because the color used in the App is too close to the heavy traffic color occasionally making it hard to tell at a glance whether that's a Major hwy ahead or a major traffic jam that I need to avoid.)

Okay, that's my late two cents, and because I'm so late to the discusssion I expect it to go nowhere but it needed to be stated.
Daknife
Send a message
https://waze.com/wiki/images/3/3c/Waze_ ... 00k_6c.png
Former AM in Utah; FormerCM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
dbraughlr wrote:
daknife wrote: Take a look at this location what is the functional difference between the two roads? They are both built identically, one is part of a US hwy stretching from Canada to Mexico, the other is a State Hwy.
It changes from mH to MH here. The difference is rather obvious.
When split as at your point a few hundred miles away it does qualify as a Major, prior to that split not so much. Go back to my linked point, the traffic volumes, design and construction of the SR-14 (bringing traffic from I-15 at Cedar City Utah to US 89) and US-89 are nearly if not identical. North of that intersection traffic volume on the US hwy drops off substantially. Not that either is exactly a freeway in regards to traffic.
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
I don't use the Map Editors Scheme, but the colors are similar across multiple schemes, not all of them but some of them.

But correct me, i guess I may have missed a significant change (don't know how that happened with all the constant change that goes on) but any Hwy; Major, Minor or Freeway all used to get equal treatment on distant routings. Has that changed? If so when (just curious as to how I missed it.) I know I have planned and traveled routes longer than 200 miles with Waze using minor hwy's and tested such routes to find problems on similar long routes over mostly minor hwys.
Daknife
Send a message
Last edited by Daknife on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Yep, I've looked at the FC map. As I've said I see the idea behind the FC maps, but don't really see the need to change thousands of miles of roads across multiple states. IF and only if, Minor does still get the same long range routing benefit that it used to. If that has in fact changed then I stand corrected and will start tasking my AM's to start reclassifying (Yay edit counts climb!)
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
sketch wrote:I'm not sure when it changed or if it changed, and the info I have gotten is nebulous at best, but it's surely something. It may be longer than 200 mi. Look at the MT/SD example about 8-10 posts up. The couple dozen miles of Minor Highway in the middle of US-212 led to that route's pruning even as an alternative route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Okay it has changed. I used to be able to plot a route from Richfield UT to Flagstaff AZ and the primary route was US-89 almost all of which was classed as mH. I used it to test the alternative routes when the landslide just south of Page AZ took out 89 last year. Now it gets me to Kanab UT just fine but errors out trying to get to Page, and sends me via some wild interstate routes to get to Flagstaff.

Consider me edumacated. And ready to start adding edit counts like crazy again, (1 Mil here I come).
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Ahh, I took it as otherwise, I think I interpreted it s saying, "well here it is a MH, that is the difference." In retrospect, I guess I was expecting to be put in my place and was looking (at least subconciously) for an argument, rather than agreement. Anyway, no biggie, I see what you meant now and good point on road type variations (at least within the Hwy types) should not disrupt routing if the name/number is consistent. But with 89 it does tend to lose continuity at each town, as it briefly takes on a local name (Main, or State street in nearly every town in Utah it runs through, sometimes only for a few blocks, but also through the length of the major population area of the State, where it is State St through Salt Lake county and city).

Tonight I made 89T all MH, the scenic alt should in my opinion remain a minor as do US BUS alternates.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint

Post by Daknife
Something has changed. As I said, my previous test route is no longer working.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4
Daknife
Send a message
Google Pixel 5 on Sprint