The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Loss of elevation data

Post by qwaletee
It seems that a number of editors are finding that they sometimes have elevation level nulled out after saving, on segments that had previously been saved with valid elevation data. Not only is it affecting segments that have been edited, it is affecting multiple segments off the same junction.

See start of discussion here and here

Editors reporting the phenomenon so far: ctpoole, atomicdecay, qwaletee, rgatland, orbitc.

Several other editors cannot reproduce the problem.

My detailed summary of the actions I took that produced the error:
Changing a junction, or maybe the elevation of one segment attached to the junction, seems to drop elevation from all the segments in the junction. This appears to be true even if I select the unexpectedly modified segments -- the standard WME segment properties show blank elevation.

If I have a segment that has directional or reverse connection issues and fix it, after I save, it gets highlighted for elevation out of range, but it wasn't highlighted for that before. (I.e., when I select the segment, it only shows the reverse connection problem, it does not also show an elevation note.) This may simply be a symptom of the above -- until I changed the junction to eliminate the reverse connection, perhaps the segment had a properly assigned elevation, so there was no reason to show an elevation note. Once I saved, and the elevation was lost, then there was a reason to display the issue.

So I'm going to vote for there being a problem with WME killing elevation values right now, or a problem with JNF/toolbox doing it.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:14073768

Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by freade
I'm having the same issue. To correct this I just need to disable JNF, right?

Thanks!

Edit: It worked for me, no more ground elevation being set to Null :D
freade
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Not sure from this thread if we have concluded there is nothing we are doing that is causing this problem that we can fix. When I asked someone recently about this problem they said this was just a refresh error, but I have seen entire neighborhoods with the wrong elevation, but I had not heard about the refresh page test when I found them.

For now it looks like we are refreshing the screen and then fixing the segment elevation if it is still not correct. Maybe we should add this to the WME Wiki in the elevation description.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Your note looks good, and I think we also need to mention that there are times when this issue causes the elevation data to be lost permanently as well. In those cases after a refresh the data is still blank and would then need to be updated. I have had this reported to me by at least one other user and I have also seen it myself. No refresh would bring it back.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Mynios
BellHouse wrote:I have never seen such a case on the INTL server (but I believe you that they do exist, of course ;)).
Gregor, you should turn on the elevation layer of the TB. You will find a mass also in good old Germany. ;)
Mynios
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by pjlasl
I'm also seeing this effect.
pjlasl
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img] [img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///pIzEJ8[/img]
AM: Texas
CM: USA
Champ: USA
Mentor: USA

Best Practices for Map Editing | Texas Wiki| Unlock Request for US | Mentoring

Post by qwaletee
Edit: Updated list of affected users.

More investigation reveals a fairly repeatable scenario:
  • find a junction with reverse connectivity or soft turns
  • select it
  • hit Q to fix (uses JNF or toolbox)
  • if any segments change, they lose elevation
Note that this only occurs if Q changes a segment (road changes to orange).
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
It is definitely a bug, but at the same time, once that seems chronic, and in need of guidance to map editors. I vote adding content. I'll work some text up and post here.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
It sounds like we have consensus so far that change is OK, but with an addition to the lost elevation warning, that if it still is blank after waiting a minute and refreshing, then there is a more serious problem that should be reported to a country manager or state manager for analysis and correction.

Agreed?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message