Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page] Map tiles

Post by kentsmith9
I have not yet created content for this page, but on it I believe we should cover the following:
  • Definition - Describe it briefly (probably just the into paragraph)
  • Theory of operation - Describe why they exist and how they work (at a basic level)
  • Updates - What does and does not trigger an update
  • Other?
We do know that the following do NOT cause a tile update:
  • Camera updates
Waze has stated that the following WILL cause a tile update in the area of the segment being edited:
  • Turn Restrictions
  • Elevation
  • Lock levels
Since turn restrictions do not change editor, our initial assumption was incorrect that only mods that change the editor name would update the tiles.

I have a pending question asking about whether the following also trigger an update:
  • Adding or editing House Numbers
  • Changes to Street/Alternate/City/State name
  • Adding toll indicator
  • Geometry changes to a segment
  • Adding a new road through WME
  • Adding a new road by paving in the client
  • Adding or editing a landmark
I am awaiting their reply on this list so we can move it to the Wiki.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by GadgetJ
Great feedback on the process. Can you point me to that procedure in writing so that I can learn more?
GadgetJ
Send a message
Jeremy - GadgetJ - Work hard, WAZE harder

Post by kentsmith9
I put a bit of what we know so far into [[Map tiles]]. Anyone is welcome to add more information as it is determined.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:I'm confident that geometry, street name, and landmark changes will trigger tile updates. I've heard suspicions that time-based segment restrictions will not.
Good feedback. I assume your confidence on "street name" is based on actual map field (yours or someone else) testing. I am curious because I was thinking at one point I tried changing the name fields of a road and that did not trigger the update, but it did not make sense to me. So if you know that change alone will trigger the update, I am good with that.

For landmark changes, are you grouping 1) geometry changes, 2) entire landmark shifting, and 3) any edits to the name fields as all individually able to trigger a tile update?

Since the landmarks are on a different layer than roads, do we "know" any layer change that triggers a tile update will update all layers?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Doesn't seem likely. We were doing some edits on landmarks so huge it would take seconds to render the image each time we edited it. I swapped out a landmark with too many geo nodes for the Grand Canyon and drew in a new one. There are no roads in the area, so only the landmark itself could have caused all those tiles to update.

I think you may have run into an anomaly.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
davielde wrote:It would be worthwhile to test unless kentsmith9 or others know that this is already not the case. Lake St Clair would be a good candidate for anyone with beta editor and CM rights.
I have no specific data on that, so it might be worth testing. I am still waiting on feedback from the Devs on the questions, but their schedule is "soon." :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I look forward to those test results.
sketch wrote:This is harder to test with any certainty now that the 10% tile update process has been implemented (right?).
I am not familiar with this. Is there a thread on this? I could not find anything. It sounds like something we should get added to the Wiki though.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Ah. I hope that is the case as it would at least solve all update problems within 10 updates. If someone remembers that thread or details and can comment here, I can add it to this Wiki page.

To isolate that condition from the test, would it be possible to repeat your same list of test locations immediately after they update? Then if they take 10 days to update again, we know the answer.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I received feedback on all the open questions on that page for what updates the tiles. I have moved them to the appropriate section on that page.

I also received feedback on the general update cycle and it is not necessarily 10% per cycle, so they recommended we add it takes about 10+ days to update all the tiles. Not every server is the same and they are not always the same themselves. I think the information is good enough for our purposes.

I need to fill out the theory of operation section. I was going to discuss the general theory behind map tiles, but I could not find any information on tile sizes and if the other layers are the same sizes. Does anyone know that data, or should I ask them?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:Nothing there on time-based restrictions, at least TBSRs? Does "turn restrictions" encompass TBTRs?
I was pretty sure all restrictions were the same, but I will confirm and specifically Segment Restrictions.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message