Post by CBenson
MGODLEW wrote:Should we start updating each state's wiki? For example in PA:

From: Landmarks in Pennsylvania should follow the guidelines for Connecticut until the national standard is complete.

To: Pennsylvania should follow the Places Wiki for guidance in regards to mapping Points of Interest & Businesses.
I think this should be discussed over in the US forum.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
bretmcvey wrote:Questions related to the handling of Rest Areas with the new Places feature.
I agree this is an issue. I think this may be the most significant flaw with the category list. That said, at this point I don't know what the categories will actually be used for. I'm wondering whether its best to label rest areas with the top level "Transportation" tag and put "rest area" in the description. Of course if the rest area has services such as gas stations and restaurants those can be added as categories to the place as well.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
nzahn1 wrote:Found a issue today:
The table lists train stations as a "point", but the parking lot directive from landmarks says that associated PLots should be included in train station "landmarks". Should we either: delete associated PLots or change the guidance and include PLots in Train Station "Areas."
FYI, Here's the train station that started it all, its a MD-DC commuter train: PermaLink
So I guess I'm trying to figure out what the advantage to marking the parking lots would be. I don't see that any separate landmark would enhance navigation. I'm not sure that an area marked on the map would help me when driving in the area.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
DwarfLord wrote:Train stations are often conspicuous due to elevated rails and platforms and/or characteristic station buildings.
I'm rather ambivalent regarding whether there should be a shaded area on the map or not. I don't think of the Halethorpe MARC station as conspicuous, a shaded area is not going to make the map any more useful for me personally.
DwarfLord wrote:And, some train stations are very large, like the aforementioned Union Station in DC. Would these not warrant an Area?
I guess so, but again the shaded area on the map doesn't really help me at all. I want the label "Union Station" on the map. I want to be able to choose whether I'm routing to the passenger pickup/dropoff or the parking garage. I want the same routing options if I search for the Greyhound or Bolt bus lines. I want to be routed to the parking garage if I search for H&M. I certainly don't want the "Union Station" label to get lost in a bunch of "Greyhound" "Bolt" "H&M" labels. In other words, I don't know what to do with Union Station at this point. I need a bunch more information about how the places will actually work.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
daknife wrote:As such the My opinion is that the Hospital place as an area would have it's marker placed at the general public parking entrance, with a second point place labeled ER or Emergency Room (search should be able to find both versions for either search term) placed at the entrance to the ER.
I basically agree, but would modify this slightly. When I drive to a hospital, the majority of the time I have a passenger that this is not going to walk from the parking lot to the hospital entrance, which is why I am driving them to the hospital. I would have the main marker at the main hospital entrance, with a second point labeled ER and a third point labeled parking. This parking/main entrance issue is not limited to hospitals, as mentioned above for Union Station in DC.

Waze has stated an intention to include multiple routing points for areas. We need to decide whether to wait or whether to start marking secondary points for secondary locations associated with a main place.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
daknife wrote:Thus the challenge of trying to be a do all route everywhere app. How do we deal with a multi-use complex like that?
Agreed, the more I think about this, the more I think its folly to have a single tool that controls both routing destinations and what is displayed on the map. There will be inevitable conflicts between the need for a place to show up in search results and the need to reduce the clutter that shows where there are many possible destinations in a small area.

There needs to separate control over how a destination is displayed on the map and when a destination appears in search results.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote: Yes, but the category is Hospital and medical care. If it's an emergency situations, I would think, you' would call 911. I personally, don't think to include doctors under offices. I would think, doctors should fall under medical care
Agreed. I believe emergency rooms should all be added separately with "Emergency Room" in the name. Just cause hospitals are hospitals doesn't mean 9-5 clinics aren't "medical care" facilities.

Waze doesn't have a "Hospital" button anyway. If you need an emergency room you'll search for one.
Disagree to the extent that waze distinguishes public safety places (hospitals, fire departments, etc) differently on the map. Currently, the live map shows me hospitals and fire departments in pink. The client using the default color scheme is showing them in the same gray as other landmarks.

But to the extent they are shown differently, I wouldn't mark a medical office building as "Hospital/Medical Care" unless in including some kind of urgent care facility. I'm not sure what you mean by 9-5 clinic, but if you mean a general practice doctors office that takes walkins (or even a drug store with a nurse on duty) I would prefer that they not be highlighted on the map in the same way a hospital or fire department is.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:You might still go to a clinic when you have a problem; you don't go to a fire department when your house is on fire.
I might go to a fire department for an acute medical problem that needed professional medical attention that an EMT might provide, I wouldn't go to a non-urgent care medical care office. When driving to the hospital when passing a gall stone I considered stopping at the fire department as the pain was becoming too severe. If its a clinic that treats anyone without appointment, then that seems like it should be in the same category (although 9-5 wouldn't have helped me as it was 2AM when I had to decide where to go). But marking every doctor's office as "Medical Care" would dilute any advantage of marking hospitals in a different color.

On the other side of the continuum are "hospitals" that do not offer emergency care to the general public. Should a psychiatric hospital or a military hospital be categorized as Hospital/Medical Care? Seems counterproductive to show them in pink to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
vickimachado wrote:Questions:
I assume that the City field in Places should match the one that's used for the surrounding road segments?
That would make sense to me.
But without thinking about it, that's not what I've been doing. I've been using the mailing address city.

Do we yet know if the places city field affects the city polygons?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
This has essentially been started over here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86805
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message