Post by holzereck
Motorola also suggested trying a different SIM,,,, but as I don't have one at this size, was unable to do so - hence my visit to the 02 shop.

My older phone (non smart like its owner) is on Virgin. I've been with them since they started, mainly because they were cheap to run, but also had great coverage - even in those early days.

I've dropped them a line to ask for advice on their 2G/3G coverage in my area.
I have to say that I basically stopped using Virgin after they ignored several technical questions from me (they used to have great customer support - over & above most C.Supports) & needed two numbers - one for personal & one for general use (one on Virgin & one on 02 - actually it was Vodafone when I started but somehow it got shifted over to 02. I assumed at the time, that 02 had bought out Vodafone.
I'm not really expecting a reply to my quest !

I turned on my Data service yesterday, but nothing showed up in the display. I turned it off again.

Should data be enabled for Waze (& other sat-nav) systems to work ?
If so, I may as well stick with the built-in version - which also uses satellite/photograph images.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Son was with 3 for about 3 years, with an expensive contract. When he came to cancel it (went to Oz - didn't need it) all hell was let loose. They carried on taking money from his bank, then demanded more. He received threatening letters from several Collection Agencies, who were obviously passing the case down the line. As an ex dealer, I checked his contract over & know that he did everything right - he didn't want to leave problems behind when he left.

They might have a good system, but if the C.Support stinks, is it worth it ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is EE only 4G ? My phone is only 3G - when I can get the damned thing,,,,,,,,,,

Baz
holzereck
Send a message
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes

Post by holzereck
Thanks Dave,

I'm afraid I have no idea what GPRS or EDGE is.
As my Moto is only 3G (when/if I can get it),,,,,, I'd better not over tax my smart brain ?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure if it's still the same, but Virgin used to piggy-back on T-Mobile system.
holzereck
Send a message

Post by holzereck
Thanks for the update folks,

The reason I am on payg, is that I probably only spend about £2 per week - if that. Being disabled, I do have to rely on my stuff - so have to strike a happy medium (she hates it !), between a cheapish system & a reliable system. If I were still working, it wouldn't matter.

I'm still looking for confirmation, that I HAVE to have 'data' enabled (as per the 02 shop kid), to use sat-nav type apps.
If that's true, I may as well stick to the built-in one, which does use data.

In my case, the whole idea of seeking free sat-nav, is to get around using data.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nothing from 02 or Virgin yet ?!?!

hope you're all having a nice weekend
holzereck
Send a message

Post by holzereck
fieldenm wrote:Hi Holzereck.
You don't need data to use a Sat Nav, but you do need to use a downloaded Sat Nav that has a built in map. This will require a large data download (maybe over 500MB) when initially installed and again when updated. However you could do this while connected to Wi-Fi somewhere - hopefully somewhere free.
The best self-contained FREE Sat Navs I know of are Co-Pilot and Nav Free. As I said, download and update using free WiFi, then turn your data connection off.
Good luck!
That's what I thought.
I used the in-built thing when the phone was 2 days old & I travelled up Country - when I could have really used it. I won't bore you with the whole story, but on the way home, it kept cutting out of signal. This surprised me as I was on a motorway most of the way, and expected full signal, of 02 at least.

It also kept popping up with "oi mate - we want another quid for the data use". I guess I got 15/20 mins of use, before it popped up again, & again.

That's when I decided to look for a free app. When I say free, I don't necessarily mean free to buy, but free to run.
The first one I tried was free CoPilot. This seemed to fit the bill - initially - even with Data turned off.
I think it was about that time I upgraded to Kitkat. It may be a coincidence, but it seems to have changed around that time,,, to keep losing signal.
I have also tried Nav-Free.
CoPilot, Nav-free & Waze - and their own maps, were downloaded at home, via my B.Band/Wifi.

I have seen an app for satellite signal strength - any good ?

cheers
holzereck
Send a message

Post by leocylau
Dave2084 wrote:I recently ditched O2 and moved to three ... it's only since doing that I realised how bad O2's network is outside of built up areas.
thumb-up
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by RTPeat
In the day job I work for a construction company where our staff are increasingly needing connectivity in out of the way locations. The company has a deal with Vodafone but we we were increasingly discovering that there were large areas with only 2G coverage including several large towns in the central belt of Scotland.

We now roll out Three MiFi units to startup sites if they have coverage because every one of their masts is 3G. Even in areas where both Vodafone and Three have a signal Three is always faster, and significantly so.
RTPeat
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Hi and welcome to waze!

At this time you only get a drawn map, satellite imagery is just a bit too big to download to phones.

The no signal is for cellular data connection. This is a known issue and you'll find threads about it all over the forums.

So no you aren't looking at timings wrongly

Happy Wazing!

NI AM L5
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Interesting question that, their privacy policy doesn't mention anything about asking to access contacts or call logs either on the app stores or website, they do state that they collect, store and use GPS info but no personally identifiable information is 'stored' with it and they won't disclose this info, just use it to better the service that they can provide. Why they'd want access to call logs is beyond me, contact lists I can get as you can add address info to contacts and then access them for navigation purposes. Will be interested to find out.

Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by Superfraggle
Three is great, especially unlimited data. I had to test that theory and download about 30 gig, and they never complained.

just try and avoid customer services, although they are improving.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///AvrXT[/img][img]https:///p9mgM[/img]