Incorporate Wikipedia sections in Waze Wiki

Post by Fredo-p
I read up on how it should be done, but I am at a loss as why it isn't working or if it isn't allowed at all.

I would like to enable a template or section from wikipedia to be displayed in my States page that I have decided to try and tackle. However, it seems the only thing that I can link into that wiki is anything from Waze Wikimedia. Is it possible to be able to link a section from Wikipedia to our Wiki page and have it populate after entering the

Code: Select all

[[....]] or {{.....}}
?
Fredo-p

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
Thanks sketch. I've already did an interwiki link using the wikimedia help page to find what it calls wikipedia. Its linking to my states transportation page.

I was thinking that the feature I wanted was/might have to be enabled. Looks like ill just do it the old fashioned way and copy the text from wikipedia and transfer it over, but make the necessary changes to allow all the pics and links to display properly.
It will take some time, but ill just get better at wiki coding.

If only I can get my wiki toolbar add-on to work again.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote:I just noticed mine was not working tonight as well. I messed around and figured it out. At the top of the page next to the Logout button is a little image of a pencil on a pad of paper or maybe a little text window. Click on it to toggle the wikEd script. When it is gray it is off, and when colored it is on. I don't remember turning mine off, but somehow it was off. I will add this not to the original page in our forum where we discussed it originally.
I was wondering that. I ended up re-installing the script to get it to show. Wish I read this sooner. Wonder why my tapatalk didn't notify me.....Hmmmm
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I assume you are trying to incorporate parts of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona#Transportation into the Waze Wiki page [[Arizona]].

Typically you would show an entry on the Waze Wiki page like:

"For more detailed information see the Wikipedia article for Arizona Transportation."

And then immediately following that entry you directly add the key content you would want someone to see without having to go to that link. Or possibly include one or two examples of what they would see if they went to that page to encourage them to go to it if that is your desire. Normally you want to tell them why they would want to go to the page if your current text is not enough for them.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Fredo-p wrote:If only I can get my wiki toolbar add-on to work again.
Are you talking about the wikEd script?

I just noticed mine was not working tonight as well. I messed around and figured it out. At the top of the page next to the Logout button is a little image of a pencil on a pad of paper or maybe a little text window. Click on it to toggle the wikEd script. When it is gray it is off, and when colored it is on. I don't remember turning mine off, but somehow it was off. I will add this not to the original page in our forum where we discussed it originally.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Linking to a page from Wikipedia is easy, using interwiki links. For example, [[wikipedia:New Orleans]] will give a link with text "wikipedia:New Orleans" to the Wikipedia page New Orleans; [[wikipedia:New Orleans|]] will give a link with the text "New Orleans" to the Wikipedia page New Orleans.

I know that's not what you asked, but I only just learned that, so it may interest you.

Interwiki transclusion is called, by MediaWiki, "scary transclusion" because, basically, it doesn't work properly. So it's disabled by default, I think, and can only be enabled by the Wiki SysOp, I think. It sounds pretty complicated. Probably better off just linking to your state's Wikipedia page and leaving it at that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!