Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by GizmoGuy411
unwallflower wrote:
jondrush wrote:Ugh! That doesn't match what was in the Wiki before for the US. Watch the confusion begin.
No kidding! This is very different from what we have been doing. :shock:
Agreed! Now I'm confused.

In NW Ohio I was following the road type convention of route numbering defining the road type rather than the physical road defining the Waze road type. I thuoght I was following an established convention.

Thus all Interstates and limited access freeways were typed as Freeways. US highways were typed as Major Highways regardless if they were two lanes roads or mulilane divided highways. State Highways were typed as Minor Highwys, etc.

I believe this method would allow viewing routes better at various zoom levels too.

And the two descriptions for Service Roads do not seem to match within the Map Legend either.

And may I say i've never liked the definition for Service wRoad, in anything I've read to date. Just in case anyone else had similar feelings.

Otherwise this new Map Legend is very nice piece of work!

Now I need to go back and re-digest all the Wiki info and all the previous forum discussion to see how this all falls into place before I start to re-edit the highways in NW Ohio. I also want to compare the conventions used by all the other major printed and online map resources as I would think that we would want Waze users to feel comfortable and familiar using Waze.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by hallmike
:lol: You get half of that person's points.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by jondrush
Ugh! That doesn't match what was in the Wiki before for the US. Watch the confusion begin.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
The convention we were using in the US was that anything that was a freeway, no matter what the route number got a freeway designation. Major or Minor highways were decided by road type, so US highways and state highways could be either. All three types get preference when zooming, so in that regard, applying the correct type based on road design is OK.

The new map key, IMHO, muddied the waters because there was no mention of road designation at all, and I see a huge overlap of major and minor highways based on the new descriptions.

Can we hold a summit between the active editors and the support crew at Waze and agree to revert to the old methods, or better yet, come up with something that is more cut and dried for the USA?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
I remember that discussion, but I didn't see it as a consensus. I continued to apply by road design.

I've been thinking about this a lot, because I don't like either solution. What we really need is a color code for highway designation and a display difference for highway design. Something like the pro maps do where the color stays the same as the design changes but they might add a lighter colored stripe, or two dark stripes on the border to indicate a divided highway or a multi-lane highway. That would involve a change on the programing part of Waze, but I think it would resolve the editing ambiguities quite nicely.

The conference would have to start with Waze support, I think.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Olmanrivah
Getting back to the original post. The Wiki is nice, but, it needs to be expanded to include all the symbols that can be displayed. Not having a complete legend is a major flaw.
Olmanrivah
Send a message
Country Boys Can Survive!
Graduating from the WAZE School of hard Knocks
Area Manager King William, Va.

Post by RickW-NC
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sbellosta wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Other items which appear on the map would be other Wazers and road goodies, which are worth points when you drive over them.
How many points do you get for driving over another Wazer? I have been missing out on those!!! ;-)
RickW-NC
Send a message
Verizon iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 Waze 3.1.0.0 (Crown, AM)

Post by Unholy
Hi,

just in case... we've added a small section to our wiki - map legend

you can check it here:

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Legend

feel free to add information or edit the text.

thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
You're talking about the map on your phone? Well, what "color scheme" do you have selected? That will determine the color of the roads.

And then sometimes sections of road will be highlighted in another color when Waze has detected traffic on that road. Yellow is light traffic, orange is moderate traffic, red is heavy traffic and I think there is a darker red that represents complete standstill.
unwallflower
Send a message

Post by unwallflower
jondrush wrote:Ugh! That doesn't match what was in the Wiki before for the US. Watch the confusion begin.
No kidding! This is very different from what we have been doing. :shock:
unwallflower
Send a message