This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jasonh300
LittlestLou wrote:So, just heard "Bus" (for Business) pronounced Bus...again, this is new for me, as of a month or two ago. I did clear out my cache at the recommendation of others but that never made a difference. Sorry if this is a repeat. I haven't been on the forums as much lately.
I don't remember if BUS ever worked for Business, but I noticed that it did not work about 6 months ago.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Wolfeye wrote:Int might work for international?
IA is also an abbreviation for international airport.
I don't think Int is any kind of standard abbreviation for International. IA is the abbreviation for the state of Iowa, so that wouldn't work in the U.S.

How about Int'l?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Wajo357 wrote: 3) Would that screw up navigation search if someone just enters in 1304 Ave S, Brooklyn NY, since it is now only Ave "S"? Would adding an alternate name of Ave S help?
What you name a street currently has no bearing on address searches. The street names we assign in WME are only for TTS and display purposes.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:So, when you have 125 S Ave W E, it should read out how?
Geez...you petition the city council to rename it "Elm Street" and be done with it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:I'd have to disagree. How many street signs or exit ramps do you see that have a "" or '' in them? I understand that we're trying to get Waze to say the actual letter instead of a direction, so I would advocate more of the period.
The problem with the period is that when someone reads it on the screen and sees the period, they're going to think it's an abbreviation.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
orbitc wrote:
Wajo357 wrote: Keep in mind current Brooklyn Ave names use Ave and not Avenue. Furthermore, I believe street signs say Ave not Avenue. Why fix it if it Ain't broke? My vote is to leave Ave as is and just deal with the s.
I think, I need to clarify this:

We are not changing anything. Especially, anything like Brooklyn Ave to Brooklyn Avenue.

My response was keeping Avenue same as it was when it's Avenue S.
I think he meant "the avenues in Brooklyn", rather than Brooklyn Avenue.

Meaning the street signs say "Ave S" rather than "Avenue S"
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
berestovskyy wrote:Hi!
We have an idea how to improve TTS pronunciation and how to deal with abbreviations. Basically we suggest to use Alt City/Street name to correctly pronounce names and/or to specify a short (abbreviated) street name.

Please support if you like the idea! ;)

Thanks!
This would be a very bad idea and would defeat the true purpose of Alt Name fields (which is for search results).

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a new dedicated field in which a phonetic spelling of names could be entered.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:
taddison1 wrote:I had a couple of odd abbreviation behaviors today:

- In this street name: to Downtown / Cesar Chavez N, the "N" at the end was pronounced as the letter N instead of "North". Any idea what could cause that, seeing as the N is not in quotes?
Permalink: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-96.78 ... s=62245993
I've just gotten a report about this today where the "N" was reading as "en" and not "north." It is unknown if the other directional letters are doing the same thing or not.
There's a whole thread about this somewhere. It seems to be when roads have unconventional names. Such as US-11E N or Cesar Chavez N. If it was Cesar Chavez Dr N, it probably wouldn't do it.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
txemt wrote:This one particular editor said it's always said "north" in the directions up till yesterday.
It's a recent issue, and I believe it's worldwide.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
taddison1 wrote:Just saw another UR saying that TTS was attempting to pronounce "Expy" as a word, something like "Expee", not as "Expressway". "Expy" is in the official Wiki abbreviation list, so it seems this is a problem not limited to the compass point abbreviations.
What was the exact name of the expressway, as named on the Waze map? It's working fine at the expressway near me.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message