Collecting mega points, where am I going wrong??

Post by HandyJohnno
While not necessarily a UK specific question, it's perhaps easier to relate to the UK geographically speaking...

I've been looking at the weekly scoreboards, and it's always with a sense of dismay that whilst I drive with waze on all the time, and my score trundles ever upwards, I only ever achieve a fraction of what the weekly UK top points scorers achieve (and an even smaller percentage of the worldwide top score).

I've been using waze for about 9 months, driving about 300 miles/week, and a couple of weeks ago gained L2 editing status, thinking that most of the roads round Northern Ireland were complete, i only really edited the map when I was aware of an issue, or responding to a UR. As there don't seem to be too many wazers in NI, we don't see too many URs to fix. Since gaining my L2 status, I downloaded the WME tool, which has thrown up multiple issues which I've been striving to fix - lots of splitting segments to fix "Same endpoints drivable segments (slow)" errors, and renaming lots of Belfast streets so the city name contains the ward and the "(Belfast)" city name. as highlighted by WME. I've also been in a few new (to me) parts of the country, and have noticed missing roads, so have been adding these where I can. In the past couple of weeks, my edit count has jumped from 1000 to 5400 (and more to come today) - I've seen my point count jump by about 8000, which would be consistent with the number of edits and driving I've done, but I'm flabbergasted to see users scoring 50K + weekly within the UK, or international users getting 200K+ weekly (argus-cronos getting 859K in a week is just unbelieveable :() so where am I going wrong. I've had a chance to do some mass editing this past couple of weeks, but how do others get the time to make so many changes?? I'm only 1500 points away from the 1% club, which will be my goal (plus perhaps jumping to L3), but everything else just looks unobtainable - any ideas how to light the blue touch paper??

John
HandyJohnno
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by dknight212
John, a very good question with several answers (as an individual and not necessarily the views of the other country admins):

1. Driving will not get you in the top scorers unless you do many many miles a week - Bain - one of the country admins - faitaru - is a professional delivery driver knocking up more in a month than I do in a year and even he scores relatively lowly nowadays.

2. Some of us are "lucky" enough to live in very populous areas with heavily trafficked roads. Getting these up to speed :roll: offers the chance for a lot of points, keeping them going takes a lot of time.

3. Very few of us are in a position to dedicate most of the day to Waze editing, some like me will have Waze on all day responding to queries etc. But if you don't live in a busy area you won't get so many requests. Here in London we get to deal with 30+ user requests a day, often many more plus map problems too. We also have to deal with a few miscreants and newbies who one way or another mess up the map.

4. Bear in mind that the past week or so has seen some backlogged points allocated so it is not a good comparator. What happens on the Continent is anyone's guess but remember that some editors will have access to the maps of many different countries, all in different states of development.

5. From the sounds of it you are doing exactly the right thing - finding problems and resolving them. It is not your fault there is not much left to do in your area. Which leads to ...

6. I acknowledge that there is a "problem" as the UK Waze map moves into a more developed state. We need to think less about points and more about community input. But you'd be right to say that is fine for me, I've been lucky, in the right place at the right time. Gamification is fine until you realise all the balls have been taken away, please can someone complete the analogy!
dknight212

Post by fieldenm
A bit like a Pyramid scheme - great for the founders, but rapidly diminishing returns for later arrivals.

Unless you are in it for a better map/navigation rather than the points.
fieldenm

Post by dknight212
Kind of but at the end of the day they are just points.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
dknight212

Post by dknight212
ditchi56 wrote:
- some of the things it reports are quicker and easier to fix than others. It would be possible to rack up points faster by just cherry-picking the easy ones. I don't know whether there's an official view on this, but I would regard it as cheating. If you're going to "validate" an area, either fix all the problems, or just the most important, but not just the easiest.
While I agree with the sentiment behind this, I wouldn't call it cheating per se, but it's certainly not the kind of editing that will enable you to get to area manager level. We look for the quality of edits not the quantity.
dknight212

Post by ditchi56
jpwilliamsj wrote:I've used the WME Validator to "cheat" - I certainly never considered it as cheating, I ran the script and acted on what it advised.
I didn't say that using Validator was cheating, and I certainly don't regard it as cheating. I use it a lot.

What I did say was that using Validator and cherry-picking the easiest "problems" while leaving the more time-consuming ones would be cheating.

And also that Validator is no help for picking out the most important problems of all - where the map and the roads don't tie up.
ditchi56  
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 2

Post by elljay23
Waze is about getting motorists to their destinations in the best possible way so editors should be incentivised to make that happen. At the moment it seems a bit quantity rather than quality driven. Not sure how an automated system can drive that behaviour though - how do you code that correcting a wrong turn setting or adding a new road is better than adding a walking trail or adding a filter lane to an existing junction? (Well I guess one of those is obvious, but you know what I mean...)
elljay23

Post by dknight212
seriousarsonist wrote:What I'd like to know is, why people make so many obviously pointless edits when there are so many little things need done on bits of the maps that aren't even close to being half perfect.
Exactly.
dknight212

Post by dknight212
arthurohara wrote:
Additionally, the utilisation of Validator logically conjures a lateral thinking logical conjecture that errors/problems discovered will be corrected!
My head hurts!
dknight212

Post by dknight212
You might want to find a local to chat with. Personally I hate it when editors from other countries open up Waze in the middle of London and start editing away with abandon. Not that you'd do that of course!
dknight212