[New Page] Map tiles

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Page] Map tiles

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:14 pm

I received feedback on all the open questions on that page for what updates the tiles. I have moved them to the appropriate section on that page.

I also received feedback on the general update cycle and it is not necessarily 10% per cycle, so they recommended we add it takes about 10+ days to update all the tiles. Not every server is the same and they are not always the same themselves. I think the information is good enough for our purposes.

I need to fill out the theory of operation section. I was going to discuss the general theory behind map tiles, but I could not find any information on tile sizes and if the other layers are the same sizes. Does anyone know that data, or should I ask them?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:12 pm

sketch wrote:Nothing there on time-based restrictions, at least TBSRs? Does "turn restrictions" encompass TBTRs?

I was pretty sure all restrictions were the same, but I will confirm and specifically Segment Restrictions.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:12 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
sketch wrote:Nothing there on time-based restrictions, at least TBSRs? Does "turn restrictions" encompass TBTRs?

I was pretty sure all restrictions were the same, but I will confirm and specifically Segment Restrictions.

Confirmed on April 6 and forgot to update this thread.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby moweez » Sat May 02, 2015 7:56 am

I changed Landmark to Place (Europe) and Turn Restrictions to Junction Arrows.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
fly a-Waze
moweez
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm confident that geometry, street name, and landmark changes will trigger tile updates. I've heard suspicions that time-based segment restrictions will not.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:27 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
sketch wrote:I'm confident that geometry, street name, and landmark changes will trigger tile updates. I've heard suspicions that time-based segment restrictions will not.

Good feedback. I assume your confidence on "street name" is based on actual map field (yours or someone else) testing. I am curious because I was thinking at one point I tried changing the name fields of a road and that did not trigger the update, but it did not make sense to me. So if you know that change alone will trigger the update, I am good with that.

For landmark changes, are you grouping 1) geometry changes, 2) entire landmark shifting, and 3) any edits to the name fields as all individually able to trigger a tile update?

Since the landmarks are on a different layer than roads, do we "know" any layer change that triggers a tile update will update all layers?

Others have reported that tweaking geometry is an effective way of getting time-based restrictions to take effect on the next tile update.

Honestly, I may be mixing experience and conjecture, but I would imagine that anything that would actually visibly affect a tile (so, geometry, names, and road type) would lead to a tile update. (I know for a fact that road type does it, at least.) It seems that even landmark type can have an effect if the type change leads to a color change in the client — something in the infrastructure made it so "River / Stream" are sent to the client as a grey landmark rather than as a blue one, and when I noticed and routed through a number of affected tiles, they were all changed.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 pm

I changed a road name on March 23; the last tile update for NA is to March 22 22:00 UTC, so I'm waiting on that to test.

I just made a few changes at various shopping malls to test the landmarks — on one, I changed the landmark name; on another, I changed the landmark geometry; on a third, I removed the (nonstandard, I know) parking lot road names. Once the relevant tile update goes through I'll check them all.

This is harder to test with any certainty now that the 10% tile update process has been implemented (right?).
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:12 pm

I don't remember, but I believe it was within the past few weeks. Probably between 1-3 weeks ago. I couldn't find anything with a Google site search, so it may have been in a Champs forum.

From what I understand, the 10% tile update process updates 10% of all tiles with each update, in case any changes that wouldn't force a tile update have been made to the map (say, time-based restrictions). So, if I update a tile to test tile update triggering, there's presumably a 10% chance my results will be irrelevant.
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 am

Sounds good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Nothing there on time-based restrictions, at least TBSRs? Does "turn restrictions" encompass TBTRs?
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion