Post by kayveedw
seriousarsonist wrote:I know the roads but not as a driver of them.
You know the roads inside a prison but have not driven on them ... are you in fact really a serious arsonist? ;)
kayveedw
Send a message
Hertfordshire based close to London with frequent trips to Manchester.
Waze (latest) * Android 11 * Chrome (latest) * Windows 10

Post by noney82
Just to add my pennies worth. I use the scripts but i act on all errors i come across and if im unsure i will either leave it for someone higher up than me to see, or google it. If i come across roads with no turns enabled i look on street view and think to myself " would that road have no access, would they have knocked that big brand new built building down to put a road there" ect. I also look at the date the road was last updated and act on what the date is and alter to what i think is right(hope im right).
I changed a lot of city names(compstall was saying it was marple) even the city layer is wrong. I do alot of driving about being a cabbie but i also know that roads change and i might not of visited that area for a while, so sometimes its hard knowing whats the best thing to do.

Im guilty of spending to much time editing, i was sat at my laptop yesterday for 12 hours solid, i got to engrossed(sad i know) but in that time i was looking at everything and doing my best. I was trying to investigate and solve most errors in a mass of areas.I was adding roads/editing nodes/city names/ and tweaking road layouts in line with the earth view, i wasnt just cherry picking. In that time i managed to go from 8586 edits to 11k(im still lvl 2?) last week and this week i have spent to much time editing but im just trying to be a team player.
noney82
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Timbones wrote:N Ireland still has a lot of editing left to be done in some places, as it didn't benefit from the 'basemap' that was imported here in GB. All the roads need to be drawn or paved by hand, and there's much less available street name information online...

Try not to get too hung up on points though - they have no real worth.

:)
I wouldn't be too sure about the street name info not being available online, it's there if you want to search through the council sites and estate agents, I find those invaluable but not infallible.

As for editing left to be done, there is plenty if that, just keep an eye on the google earth sightseer page for updates to the sat imagery!

The other thing you can do is follow (an)other editor(s) about and fix all the bits they make a mess of!

Pip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Keep an eye out on https://maps.google.com/gallery/details ... 3qtKM-Oia4 , it was my best kept secret...

Ah! maghaberry... All those parking lot roads in a secure compound that 99.999999999999% of people can never ever drive on...

Can you remember the last edit date for Stormont? As I went through them all for the Giro Mega thing I'm submitting to Waze and I know I fixed them, geometry, nodes, one ways, etc... I also know I didn't lock them above L1 apart from the A20 but I'm sure it was at 3 (fixed some dodgy, ahem, L5 edits along there myself)

Level 5 Area Manager - North of Ireland
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Ah ok I probably didn't get them quite right as they aren't technically public access, I was only putting the geometry right and adding some not really needed side roads for the Giro... I know the roads but not as a driver of them.

As for a trip to Portrush, is it worth it :lol: Barry's will still be closed!

NI AM L5
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
How odd... I know I fixed them and there was no issues. I've been rather pedantic with the roads joining the Giro route...

Enjoy Barry's I personally would prefer the tour round the distillery or a walk along white park

NI AM L5
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
dknight212 wrote:
ditchi56 wrote:
- some of the things it reports are quicker and easier to fix than others. It would be possible to rack up points faster by just cherry-picking the easy ones. I don't know whether there's an official view on this, but I would regard it as cheating. If you're going to "validate" an area, either fix all the problems, or just the most important, but not just the easiest.
While I agree with the sentiment behind this, I wouldn't call it cheating per se, but it's certainly not the kind of editing that will enable you to get to area manager level. We look for the quality of edits not the quantity.
I would call that cheating. I do use the Validater script but generally only to highlight potential problems as I am checking over the map, Just the same way I use Tim's highlighter one. Using any tool to rack up pointless edits and points I would consider dubious if they have no value on the map, to waze or the end user.

I agree with Arthur about the whole sale cheating side and have seen some pretty good examples of it, and I'm not sure anything was done about it even though others noticed as well. As for just drawing roads with little detail, I'm guilty of that, but in my defence after I've 'filled' in an area I will go over it again to try and name, correct and fix any mistakes.

Pip

PS. Ditchi it does work on areas that didn't get a basemap. As long as there are roads...

NI AM L5
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
ditchi56 wrote:And personally I'd like to see points scrapped, the motivation should be getting the map right for the community, not soaring up some arbitrary and dare I say pointless table.
I'd certainly agree with that!

Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I wouldn't say you've done anything wrong, especially as your intentions are honourable and you aren't using the scripts to 'point farm'. Care in the edits made is the most important thing. Even us 'more experienced' editors make mistakes, I sure as hell know I do! What you've added in the last week or so has been great work btw.

The point Arthur made is one I hadn't thought about, it could be handled better and policed more thoroughly by whoever...

I think we do, however, need to make a distinction between points and edits. I believe John is happier getting edits so he can level up, the same as I was, getting fed up with asking for unlocks. Points to get to the top of the table is a whole different matter...

Pip

[edit] what ditchi said

Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message