Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by daveacincy
In many states in the US, on road segments the city are set to None when they are not part of an incorporated area. In these cases, the postal city is usually set in an alternate name. But this doesn't always happen.

These new checks look at named drivable segments (except ramp and FW) that have no city in the primary or alt name(s). If there is no city, it will highlight in red if the segment has any HNs, or yellow if there are no HNs. 

These checks are currently only enabled in the US, although it seems it would make sense in other countries.
Validator-HN.png
(769.77 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
I assume you just mean the yellow highlighting, where there are no HNs present.  I agree it can be too aggressive, but I also see a lot of MH and mH in rural areas that have no HNs but really should (and no city on the segments). I cant think of any additional checks to put on this to limit where it is flagged. Also, its just yellow and you can look at it and see if the city is needed there or not.

If there is consensus, i have no problem with making that check default to off.

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
To disable checks, you can go into the Validator tab and click on the search tab. In the Report As field, you can enter a string like !55,* to disable the new check #55 or !54,!55,* to disable 54 & 55.

Conversely, if you are in a country that they are not enabled for, you could enter 54,* to enable check 54.

Dave

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
turbomkt wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:57 pm
Regarding the checks that I have been complaining about...I'm a coordinator and don't recall any discussion at the national level. I only saw Daveacincy adding the checks via pull request.

I added 54 because there are a lot of that problem in my area and I thought it would be a very good check, and does the work of looking at all/any alts to see if there is a city on any of them. I added 55 as an afterthought because there were many that had no HNs but still should have a city.

The discussion started when these new checks were released. Like I said, I am OK with making 55 default to off, but I see no reason that 54 should be OFF.

Dave

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
turbomkt wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:08 pm The real question is who decides what should be on or off for an entire country? In the US, that's usually the champs.

I agree. As new checks, I had to add some defaults and let people try it out, then the leadership can decide.

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
There is a new version 2023.5.17 now available on greasyfork.  (Not sure how long the extension version takes to update.)

Check 54 (No city on segment with HNs) is now a warning, which highlights in yellow. This no longer conflicts with seeing red USPS borders, which occurred before when the highlighting was red.

Check 55 (No city on named segment) is now a "Note" and highlights in blue. This can still be disabled with "!55,*" in the Reported As field. It can also be disabled with the "Exclude Notes" checkbox in Validators Filter tab.

I was planning on disabling #55 by default but it turns out that you cannot enable a disabled check by putting "55,*" in the Reported As field. You can only use that field to determine whether enabled checks are displayed or not.

This update also updates the code to use the new userscript API to add the tab to the scripts section.

Dave

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
I have submitted a pull request with fixes for Validator on the latest WME.
daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
Validator 2023.8.14 will work with WME 2.179 (production) and 2.180 (beta).

Dave

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
I have submitted fixes to Validator but they have not been accepted by the author yet.

Dave
daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by daveacincy
There is a minor update, version 2024.01.16, that makes Validator more compatible with the latest beta, and if you are using the "Enable Places checks" option in the US, it fixes the check for rest areas (they should be area, not point places).

The greasyfork version is available and it looks like the chrome extension version is also updated.

Dave

daveacincy  
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message