Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

have to turn GPS off and on to get location

Post by Bricarpent
Having an issue with my waze app, every time I open the app I get no GPS, I have found if I pull the drop down menu and turn the GPS off then back on fixes the problem till the next time I start waze. Anyone else having this issue? Using Samsung GALAXY 4
Bricarpent

POSTER_ID:5934702

Send a message

Post by dno188
Same problem on S4 - has made Waze totally unusable recently, unless you drive with the drop down turn by turn directions on and listen to the voice cues. The fact that this problem only effects Waze (my wife has no probs in the same areas on her Iphone) and that three others i know locally have the same problems with various Samsung Galaxy phones suggests the problem is specific to the OS and app and not GPS.
I've seen this reported on so many forums but no solutions. Have reinstalled, installed GPS kits - in short, I've used Waze for 5 years but have to use other apps at the moment. WAZE - some answers pls!
dno188
Send a message

Post by dootcze
same issue with Sony Xperia Z - I send it to service, but same behavior when I got it back.
My last trick is to start GPS Status app and wait till It fix position (<20s) and start waze. Most of time waze works fine. If it loose signal I select GPS status and let waze run on background and just use voice navigation.
It looks like waze has problem to communicate with gps module/keep it live .
dootcze
Send a message

Post by gsmithhart
I am having this exact same problem. I also have to start/stop my GPS every time I open Waze. It all started when the latest version of Waze rolled out last week. It has nothing to do with the GPS signal. My location service works fine on the Google maps side. And of course when I start/stop the GPS, Waze is just fine. Just a pain to have to do this every time.

BTW, I am on the Galaxy 3.

Greg.
gsmithhart
Send a message

Post by homebrew01
Same here on my htc android. Seems like it started a month or 2 ago. Random "No GPS" signal, while my regular map app knows exactly where I am. I have not tried turning gps off & on, but would rather not have to do much while driving.

Getting a bit frustrated with Waze lately. I have not seen any useful improvements since I joined last year. Is there just 1 guy in a basement somewhere working on this app ?
homebrew01
Send a message

Post by JimFromIL
gsmithhart wrote:I am having this exact same problem. I also have to start/stop my GPS every time I open Waze. It all started when the latest version of Waze rolled out last week. It has nothing to do with the GPS signal. My location service works fine on the Google maps side. And of course when I start/stop the GPS, Waze is just fine. Just a pain to have to do this every time.

BTW, I am on the Galaxy 3.

Greg.
I too, have noticed the exact same issue: no GPS signal on a Samsung G-S4, on Kit-Kat - not rooted. It seems random, but mainly when I launch the app, (either leaving for work, and/or leaving from work). Just started happening week of July 28, (since 3.8.1 also). Too early to tell if this is a bug or not. At least other G-S4 users are having the same issue. :|
JimFromIL
Send a message

Post by JRicardoGarcia74
Hi, I have the same problem. My phone is Milestone3 with android 2.3.
After last update, my GPS sometimes finds no sign. I installed GPS Status App and when use with Waze on finds no signal. When I open before Waze, sometimes works.
AGPS and Navfree work perfectly.
Some information if this is a bug of the last update?

Thanks.
JRicardoGarcia74
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
homebrew01 wrote:Getting a bit frustrated with Waze lately. I have not seen any useful improvements since I joined last year. Is there just 1 guy in a basement somewhere working on this app ?
A lot of improvements have come to the Routing Engine (behind the scenes) per say. Waze is currently working on plenty of new features and does hear the requests for additional ideas. However, it does take time to develop new features on top of existing development plans/features they already have in planned to implement.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by Rokcet
Superfraggle wrote:Yes I have had this issue. But it's not every time. Same phone as well. But as I also run another app at the same time which also uses GPS and has the same problem. I think it's a problem on the phone/OS
OR a problem with GPS signal reception at that particular location.
The other day I followed a (seasoned) visitor to Manhattan there with Glympse, an excellent tracker app. The signal was bouncing and jerking all over the place. Erratic jumps all over Broadway of 100 to 200 feet. While the phone in question was sitting, unmoving, on a table top in a coffee corner there. That was the GPS signals (multiple moving overhead satellites, remember) bouncing off of the concrete canyon walls, of course. Making a real fix impossible. Showing 'shadow' fixes instead.
Just to illustrate that individual situations vary, and matter.
I.o.w. I'm not so convinced this problem of yours is phone or OS related.
Rokcet
Send a message

Post by Rokcet
Superfraggle wrote:I don't think its signal, the GPS module doesn't appear to even start. The GPS Icon does not show in the notification bar, turning off GPS and turning it back on again, causes the GPS to show, and start flashing whilst it locks on and then stays solid once locked, as per usual.

If it was shadowed I would expect a lock, but incorrect location, and if it was poor/no signal I would expect to see just the flashing GPS icon, but there is NO GPS Icon, suggesting the GPS module is not loading.
You have a point.

But your S4 is probably not under warranty anymore, is it?

If not, rooting might be an alternative to reconfigure the GPS module's behavior.
Rokcet
Send a message