Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jasonh300
GizmoGuy411 wrote:Ok... just slightly off topic, but have you heard that the person behind "Samantha", our favorite Waze TTS voice product from the company Nuance here in the US has finally revealed her true identity?

Her name is Susan Bennett from the Atlanta area.

The story broke on CNN, a couple days ago, when she revealed that she was the voice of Siri on iOS products.

So if want to see who sometimes misdirects you in unfathomable ways, check out this story, along with the accompanying video.

I think I like hearing our Samantha talk even more now!

CNN Article: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/04/tech/ ... one-voice/
I thought that was the voice of Siri. Samantha doesn't sound like Siri at all.

Personally, I wish I could change them over to Jane Barbe.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
That wasn't what I was expecting. However, there's a street called Delores Dr here that TTS pronounced "Delores DEE ARR".
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
sketch wrote:Maybe "Expwy" would work for expressway where "Expy" does not. "Expwy" is the preferred abbreviation under the MUTCD. "Expy" is a USPS abbreviation we chose to prefer because (1) it's shorter and (2) some states use it on their signs anyway.
As of the last time I tried it, a couple of years ago, Expwy did not work with TTS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Worked for me...TTS at 0:23

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wkkfh1ao3yw1 ... .53.08.mov

(Look at all the illegal landmarks!)
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
deleted. Misread previous post.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
MGODLEW wrote:It is with a heavy heart, I am sad to report, I was not in the Delorean that day. The flux capacitor needed some fine tuning so I was forced to use my hoverboard.
Mi aerotabla está lleno de anguilas.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
harling wrote: 'Storrow Dr E' is supposed to be "storrow drive east", not "storrow doctor east" or "storrow doctor ee". And each time someone comes up with an example that we haven't anticipated, the rules (and code) become messier and harder to maintain.

All these conditions and exceptions are easy enough for a human to follow, but to a computer, context-sensitive grammars are brittle. Trust me, I have done this for a living. Better to start now with as straightforward and literal a system as possible, or it will turn into a perpetual problem, where fixing one case will break several others.
Back to Page 2 (1/2012)!! -

Over the last couple weeks I've noticed this popping up again.

Memorial Dr W is now "Memorial Doctor West"
and Storrow Dr E is now "Storrow Doctor East"
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jaywazin
Gee, with the last 7 posts being "expected/actual" I'd think something actually comes of these posts of incorrect pronunciation. So I'll add one [not holding my breath]:

Lowell, MA
Road name: Chelmsford St

Expected pronunciation: chelms-ferd
Actual pronunciation: kelms-ferd

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=22456586
jaywazin
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by jbdomien
Hi,
PesachZ wrote:The French phrase "La Salle" is being pronounced as "La Sale" when
LaSalle is said correctly as in the french (La Sal), I'll add "La Salle" to the list, you can see it on the wiki.
Give me the URL's wiki, please.
jbdomien
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message

Post by jbdomien
PesachZ wrote:
jbdomien wrote:Hi,
PesachZ wrote:The French phrase "La Salle" is being pronounced as "La Sale" when
LaSalle is said correctly as in the french (La Sal), I'll add "La Salle" to the list, you can see it on the wiki.
Give me the URL's wiki, please.
The New wiki for the Jane voice was mentioned earlier in this thread.

This wiki has a list of all active recommended abbreviations, and pronunciation fixes with their current status.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
Thank you very much, PesachZ!

PS : English is not my mother tongue . I need time to read and understand. I check this forum for some time. I come from west french indies :)
jbdomien
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Send a message