Downgrading the Natchez Trace Parkway

Post by bart99gt
All,

I propose that we downgrade the Natchez Trace Parkway to a primary street. Being a scenic road, it probably is not appropriate to leave it as a minor highway because based on this UR:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 25&env=usa , and my own observation when getting directions from my home in NW MS to Columbus, Starkville, etc., in that general direction, Waze keeps adding it as a route choice.

It is really not intended to be used as a through route, save for someone who is wanting to make a scenic drive, the UR I linked to is proof that the locals certainly don't like getting it as a choice all the time. Also, being closed to commercial traffic we don't want an unsuspecting truck driver who does not know about the road driving out of the way to use this route, only to have to seek an alternative.

Comments?
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
OK, that would take care of the commercial vehicle restriction, but I'm not sure if it still adequately addresses Waze using it as a through route for everyone else. Unless the intent is to restrict its use to basically everyone, which may or may not cause Waze to try to route someone off the road when they are intentionally driving on it.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
I think the issue up on this end is that the limit is largely 45-50 mph, so to Waze it appears to be a good route.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Yeah, I just left it be. I think the people who were complaining about it either stopped using Waze or have just dealt with it after I replied to their URs stating that in the eyes of Waze it is still a valid route and/or has no way of sending commercial traffic on another route as of yet.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by Scruffy151
I have the section from Natchez to Ridgeland/Madison restricted so that when restrictions go live it should work properly.

I think that is the best way to go long term; minor highway with use restrictions. However if it seems like it will be a long time before the restrictions are enabled I can see downgrading as a temporary work-around.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Scruffy151
I would think that if it wasn't a decent route it wouldn't show up for anyone. I know in my area waze routes almost anywhere except on the trace since the speeds are lower other area roads.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
IMO it should be kept as a minor highway. Someone who wants to use the Parkway should be able to. Until vehicle type restrictions are enabled, it is to be assumed that every Waze client is a private vehicle.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!