This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by jenncard
Interesting. So the period also converts to a pause? Perhaps this might be an idea for the other post re: ramp naming.... "Exit 123: I-70 W. Grand Junction"
jenncard
Send a message
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8358/em04.png
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.

Post by jenncard
Trwy = "Trueway", definitely.

Here's what I have set up to test so far (all variations on the letter E and then working backwards alphabetically):
[*]1: “E” Rd, 2: 'E' Rd, 3: E. Rd, 4: “E.” Rd, 5: 'E.' Rd,
[*]1: “e” Rd, 2: 'e' Rd, 3: e. Rd, 4: “e.” Rd, 5: 'e.' Rd, 6: e Rd,
[*]1: Wash, 2: Wash., 3: WASH, 4: WLS, 5: WELLS, 6: We., 7: UNS, 8: U.S., 9: US, 10: US-50,
[*]1: VALLY, 2: VLYS, 3: VIADCT, 4: VWS, 5: Villge, 6: VLGS, 7: VILLAGES, 8: VLGS, 9: VSTA,
[*]1: Tsse, 2: Thick, 3: Thwy, 4: Tline, 5: TRKS, 6: TR, 7: TRLS, 8: TUNLS, 9: Trnabt, 10: TRPK,
[*]1: St., 2: Sr, 3: Sr., 4: Sent, 5: SHR, 6: SHRS, 7: Smokey Mts,
[*]1: So., 2: SE Fir Dr, 3: Fir Dr SW, 4: SPRNG, 5: SPGS, 6: SPNGS, 7: SPRNGS, 8: SPUR, 9: SQRE,
[*]1: SQS, 2: SQRS, 3: SH-119, 4: STATN, 5: STN, 6: STRM, 7: STREME, 8: STS, 9: Sudiv, 10: So,
[*]1: RADIEL, 2: RADL, 3: RNCHS, 4: Rg, 5: RDGS, 6: RIVR, 7: RVR, 8: RT, 9: Rle, 10: ,
[*]1: PKS, 2: PKY, 3: PKWYS, 4: Pass, 5: Ptway, 6: PKE, 7: PKES, 8: PNE, 9: PLNS, 10: Plat,
[*]1: PLZA, 2: Pte, 3: PTS, 4: PORT, 5: PRTS, 6: Pvt, 7: Prom, 8: , 9: , 10: ,
jenncard
Send a message

Post by jenncard
Timbones wrote:It seems that "Cr" is being now pronounced as "Country Road", so what would be an acceptable abbreviation for "Crescent"?
Gizmo has confirmed that "CRES" is pronounced as Crescent... at least on the NA server :?
jenncard
Send a message

Post by jenncard
I just encountered a "Ste" (someone had intended as state) which I am pretty sure was pronounced as "suite"
jenncard
Send a message

Post by jenncard
jasonh300 wrote:Fortunately, I learned to drive a stick-shift when I was about 11. :lol:
I taught myself when i was 13. It is amazing how much one can learn by watching very, very closely...

So, still no map update? At this rate, I'm thinking I should have kept adding more and more roads to my TTS playground!
jenncard
Send a message

Post by jenncard
A few interesting observations from my testing:
- CASE vs. case definitely DOES matter
- use of ' or " has interesting (and unpredictable) results
- and testing these rigs isn't has hard as one might imagine :-)

Of the following segment names:

Code: Select all

1: “E” Rd, 2: 'E' Rd, 3: E. Rd, 4: “E.” Rd, 5: 'E.' Rd, 
1: “e” Rd, 2: 'e' Rd, 3: e. Rd, 4: “e.” Rd, 5: 'e.' Rd, 6: e Rd, 
Some were "gobbledegook", many were "East Rd" and only one actually delivered "Eee Road"

Code: Select all

'e' Rd

And while "Wash Rd", and "Wash. Rd" were pronounced as the word, "WASH Rd" somehow or another came out as "Washington Rd"

For "unknown" words, the TTS engine has two different behaviors:
- spell out the letters, e.g. TR = "tee ar"
- attempt pronounciation, e.g. "Tline" = "t'line" (or whatever you might imagine that to sound like)
I thought that this was varied based on UPPER CASE = spell it out, Mixed Case = attempt to pronounce, but this is not consistent.

As far as this being easier than anticipated to actually test, here are the tips:
- spreadsheets are your friend (this is generally always the case)
- Name the segments as I've done above, with multiple test values identified numerically (with colo) and comma separated
- I set up segment names with up to 10 different test values, and still only had to replay one or two more than once
- create the segments in a radial, coming out from one junction
- attach a small segment at the end of the "test named" segment with a short name. This makes it easy to select the destination.
- Most important, it isn't actually necessary to HEAR the tts on your phone! If you are close enough to the junction with your test segment, the .tts file will be created. "Stop nav" to that destination, navigate to the next, and so on. Not even necessary to move your car.... or even be in your car. I sat at the dining room table (just in front of my big bad junction)

This is about what mine looks like at 100m/500ft zoom. The northern "radial" was more than adequate for me to be able to select the destination segments
jenncard
Send a message
Attachments

Post by jlspence99
I didn't find "Service" as in Service Road in the spreadsheet, abbreviated as SVC. Was navigating in the West Memphis, AR area and was briefly confused by the direction to turn on "West S-V-C".
jlspence99
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by jlspence99
It was Svc on the map and the app pronounced it "s-v-c".
jlspence99
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by jondrush
How do I keep Penn St from being announces as Pennsylvania street?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Two recent abbreviations I've seen are L for lower and O for old. Anyone know how TTS would handle these?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message