New USA Road Types

Post by PhantomSoul
In case you haven't yet heard, the USA Road Type rules have recently drastically changed, particularly which roads should be classified as non-freeway highways. As a result, many roads throughout the state will need updating. These road type updates will provide Waze with a much more robust selection of alternate routes to consider when your primary preferred route becomes congested, as well as more direct routes to places where there aren't always divided and/or controlled-access highways. Here's a quick rundown on how you can help if you're editing in New Jersey:

1. Review the new guidelines document for USA Road Types, if you haven't already done so: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_Types_(USA)

2. Review the New Jersey Functional Classification Maps, particularly for the counties in your area: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/r ... cmaps.shtm

3. Grab a county near you and edit (please post what you're working on here until we can develop a better system for tracking and publishing who's working on what). I'd suggest that higher-rank managers start with NFC Primary Arterial Roads, Federal Routes, and Waze Major Highways. Middle-rank AMs can start with NFC Secondary Arterial Roads, State Routes, and Waze Minor Highways. Newer editors should be able to help out with NFC Collector Roads, County Routes, and Waze Primary Streets (all should be same in the end), as well as downgrading anything not specified in the NFC map and not having a numbered route marker to a plain street.

4. If you come across any locks beyond your rank, please request an unlock or update in the USA Update/Unlock Forum, and we will either fix or unlock the issue described. We certainly want to avoid a patchwork of road types because certain segments are locked.

Question: Do we still need the page describing New Jersey Road Types, or are the new USA Road Type rules sufficient for New Jersey Roads?
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:11269522

Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Hello all. Just notice this post so I'll go ahead and take Union County. But I'm going to focus more on the UR's first and hit up the road type changes as I go along. Already did Morris and River Rd in Summit.

Once the wiki is ready, I'll fill it in with what I've done.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
I've found a couple of MH that still had LVL 1 locks. I set the, to 3 but if it needs higher, I'll let you all know the locations.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
We have in Arizona. The latest map was dated 2009. However, I got in contact with the Arizona DOT FC Coordinator and he provided me with current info on the fc in the state. He is also including me in update alerts for when the map gets updated and they have meetings.

Your best bet is to not only get in touch with NJ's FC coordinator, but to agree with the rest of the NJ editors what the unofficial standard should be regard what to change.

Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Take a quick look at Phoenix, AZ. Then Google Arizona Functional Classification map and search for the map from the AZDOT website, or better yet, the MCDOT-MSRP PDF which claims to have a more current map.

Because Arizona had space to grow, the ADOT decided to build the entire valley in a grid system. There are no County routes, only SR's and freeways/highways. So many of the major roadways are given a Primary arterial classification. It looks confusing as hell but all of us editors in AZ are getting a better understanding on how they classified it.

Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by orbitc
Let's create a wiki to show where everybody is working on upgrading this. As we complete the roads we should update the wiki.
We can use our existing state wiki.

Before making changes, please make sure to check ranks. Do not start a road/segment/area unless you can finish the entire road/segment/area.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Fredo-p wrote:Hello all. Just notice this post so I'll go ahead and take Union County. But I'm going to focus more on the UR's first and hit up the road type changes as I go along. Already did Morris and River Rd in Summit.

Once the wiki is ready, I'll fill it in with what I've done.
Please focus on primary streets and any mH or MH that are not locked. When you update primary streets change locks to rank 2.
Thanks
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
LeoKantus wrote:I took a drive up to get back expired editing rights in some of Hunterdon and Somerset. I'll be able to take care of everything I haven't yet hit along CR-518 between Lambertville and Franklin Twp in the next day or so once my range opens up.

Down south, I also started work in Camden County, mostly in Pennsauken and Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill needs a lot of work due to its size and a lot of obsolete CDPs, but I'll sort that out as I work on the function classifications.

Again, Mercer is done. Burlington is mostly done aside from some work around Pemberton and southeast of Medford. Camden is a WIP, and I'll see what I can do about getting farther into Hunterdon, Monmouth, Ocean, and Gloucester. (Road trip!)
Ask for an AM area for those areas.
I'm going to create a wiki tomorrow to keep track all these changes for all editors. I'll post here and/or NJ forum
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by PhantomSoul
Freeways and Primary Arterials/Federal Routes/Major Highways in Hudson County are done.

Freeways in Essex County look ok. I am currently working on Primary Arterials/Federal Routes/Major Highways in Essex County...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
Agreed, but right now I'm having problems updating the NJ wiki page. It keeps randomly logging me out and/or telling me I don't have rights to edit it, though I've done it before.

In the meantime, the primary network of Essex County is done. I'm moving on to the primary network of Union County.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message