Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Need L3 to unlock Dequindre rd (rochester Hills)

Post by TeeDee55
between Avon and Parkdale to add restriction. I am Level 1

https://www.waze.com/editor/#?zoom=3&la ... 38&env=usa

City of Rochester just emailed residents that the county road commission has approved road closure from 4/28 to 5/16.

Rochester News

Posted on: April 23, 2014
Dequindre Road Closing Between Avon and Parkdale

The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) has issued a permit to the Clinton River Trail Authority to close Dequindre Road between Avon and Parkdale roads on the Rochester/Shelby Township border from Monday, April 28, through Friday, May 16.
The closure is needed so the authority can construct a safety island in the center of the road to help pedestrians using the Clinton River Trail cross Dequindre.
During the closure, the detour route for through traffic will be 23 Mile Road to Shelby Road to 24 Mile Road and back to Dequindre and vice versa.
TeeDee55

POSTER_ID:16898952

Send a message

Post by davielde
I could not get the segments to display properly with the permalink, but I lowered the lock to 1 for that stretch of Dequindre from Avon to Parkdale. If you need anything else unlocked for that construction, just post.

https://www.waze.com/editor/#?%23%3F=&z ... 91&env=usa

By the way, sketch had noticed a few downgrades to the road type in that area a few days ago, and I had gone back in to re-upgrade them according to the functional classification guidelines. If you have not seen this post yet, it has now been deployed nationwide: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=89435
As part of that, you'll eventually start to notice some of the arterial roads be locked higher as well.

Finally, going forward, the better place to post this type of request is in the US Unlock and Update Request form: viewforum.php?f=622
I just happened to be monitoring Michigan this morning, but country managers will have permission to unlock everything except staff locks wherever you need it.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
TeeDee55 wrote:How are these determinations really being made?
While WME has "Major Highway", "Minor Highway", "Primary Street"; the terminology in Functional Classification (FC) is "(Other) Principal Arterial", "Minor Arterial", and "Major/Minor Collector". These FC types simply happen to translate to the WME types. It may not easily translate due to the continued display of the word "highway", but WME's Freeway/Major Highway/Minor Highway/Primary Street is the hierarchy that is still applicable for FC's Freeway/Principal Arterial/Minor Arterial/Collector.

With FC, appearances don't matter as much as what the function of the road entails. Things like speed limit, access points, number of lanes, and even numbered highway designation play less of a role than how the road factors into longer distance routing (as determined by MDOT). One of the goals in adopting this nationwide was to remove a lot of the subjectivity in determining road type, where an editor may classify something as a major highway due to [x], and then another editor would come along and change it to minor highway due to [y]. The roads then get flipped back and forth according to personal judgment. Instead, the decision is now in the hands of each state's department of transportation.

In this case, looking at Rochester Rd and Dequindre Rd on Oakland County's FC map, the red Principal Arterial designation is used for both even though the characters of the road are completely different, one is a state highway while the other is not, and so on. In classifying these as principals, someone at MDOT likely had to consider situations such as if I-75 did not exist, what would be the "best" or at least "most direct" route from Royal Oak to Rochester, or from Warren to Rochester. Traffic studies based on average annual daily traffic ("AADT") also come into play in determining classification. The character of two roads may be totally different, but appearances don't tell the whole story of the amount of traffic a road is handling or how it factors into longer distance routing from suburb to suburb.

In case you have not seen this, here is the thread for the national discussion. We had a similar one in the Michigan forum when it was decided that the state would serve as a test bed.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by TeeDee55
RE: functional classification guidelines.

I am really struggling to see the consistency. I'm almost 60 years old and I've been driving these roads for pleasure and business for almost 40 years. North Rochester Road going through Oakland township is a "Minor Highway". It's speed limit is 50mph. It has very few intersections. It is easy to reach and maintain the speed limit on N. Rochester Road. This is 2 lane road (one lane in each direction). It also has a highway number

Dequindre Road is 45 mph, has many driveways, intersections, traffic lights and is classified as a "major highway". You just have to drive them to know that there is no comparison. Rarely will you reach the speed limit on Dequindre if there is any kind of traffic. This is a 2 lane road (one lane in each direction.

I've read the classification guidelines and I can't figure out how this is a "major highway". Dequindre Road has no highway designation on the state or county maps.

Quite frankly, I have a degree in physics and a MBA. If I can't understand the descriptions and classifications and the "logic", there are going to be a lot of us that won't understand.

So I don't get it. How are these determinations really being made?
TeeDee55
Send a message