Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Routing issue in Rochester, MI

Post by TeeDee55
https://www.waze.com/editor/#?zoom=5&la ... 57&env=usa

West bound Parkdale to Romeo to Main.

I drive this area regularly. I am the now orange/yellow reporter of a problem...found on Parkdale. I was also the green reporter.

Someone helped me last week try to figure out why the routing system is making a right hand turn on to Romeo Road, then a quick left on to Short St., then a left on to Lysander and then a right on to N Main. Short street and Lysander are neighborhood streets and are named as such. Romeo Road is a Primary as is Parkdale. N Main is Minor Highway. We called the problem resolved when whomever was helping me edit found an issue that would have been causing the problem originally.

No one who lives here would ever consider the recommended route. Kids are playing, etc. Intersection at Romeo and N Main has a traffic light. Lysander and N. Main a stop sign, but during traffic times it is much better to go to the light.

Anyone with more experience have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks from a Level 1.
TeeDee55

POSTER_ID:16898952

Send a message

Post by davielde
TeeDee55 wrote: Someone helped me last week try to figure out why the routing system is making a right hand turn on to Romeo Road, then a quick left on to Short St., then a left on to Lysander and then a right on to N Main. Short street and Lysander are neighborhood streets and are named as such. Romeo Road is a Primary as is Parkdale. N Main is Minor Highway. We called the problem resolved when whomever was helping me edit found an issue that would have been causing the problem originally.
If you live close and Short and Lysander are within a few km of your origin or destination, Waze will not prune out the Street road type, and the "higher" road types of Parkdale and Main won't matter. The historic speeds for each segment will dictate the route, and the "shortcut" is apparently faster than the left onto Parkdale with the traffic light there.

You could test out marking Short as a "Private Road" even when in reality it is not. That will heavily penalize the route through it to Lysander. Since the turns are legal--just not ideal--there doesn't appear to be any restriction that you can set--at least from the quick look that I took in Street View. I've had to use the false Private Road in a few areas where users were complaining that cops were watching the Waze-provided shortcut through a residential area and ticketing for avoiding lights at main intersections. I would use it sparingly though since the roads are in fact public.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
TeeDee55 wrote:What about adding a restriction for Short Street...like road restricted between 5am and 2am. Has anyone ever tried to control routing that way? That way it would only route to Short street between 2am and 5am.
You would not want to prevent turning onto Short for anyone with a legitimate destination on Short. Not likely given the number of homes affected, but possible.

Why 5am to 2am? I didn't see a sign anywhere in Street View, but if there is one there posted for those times, a turn restriction would be appropriate.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
Any restriction will penalize not only the through traffic that you want to prevent but also any traffic that has a legitimate turn for a destination in the neighborhood. If someone lives on Short or Lysander, you wouldn't want to route *them* around the block due to the workaround for the through route. A restriction would impact drivers who live there while Private Road would not.
davielde
Send a message
WME Michigan

Post by TeeDee55
What about adding a restriction for Short Street...like road restricted between 5am and 2am. Has anyone ever tried to control routing that way? That way it would only route to Short street between 2am and 5am.
TeeDee55
Send a message

Post by TeeDee55
restrict in the direction from Romeo to Lysander. Haven't looked at the restriction part carefully enough. I supposed it could be all day. By restricting in one direction only, the routing system could and probably would route Short Street traffic around the block and come in from the other end. That way it is not a "private road". I think we are just trying to fake the routing system into believing that this route is not the "best route" and you thought that "private road" should be used sparingly.
TeeDee55
Send a message

TeeDee55
Send a message