Post by dbraughlr
As the FAA decode sheet linked above shows, FDK identifies the following:
  • FREDERICK MUNI ARPT
  • FREDERICK MUNI ILS RWY 23 [radio beacon]
  • FREDERICK VOR [radio beacon]
  • FREDERICK RCO [remote communications outlet radio]
The ICAO code KFDK identifies solely and unambiguously Frederick Municipal Airport.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
HavanaDay wrote:IATA Codes work. It is what people know. It is generally what is on their baggage claim.
That's what I said. My post was against using FAA code as a complete solution for the USA and instead using the IATA code where there is one.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
Runways almost never appear to touch a road on the map. Mapping taxiways definitely reduces the distinctiveness of runways as seen in WME. Personally, I am not keen on having unusable roads in the app because sometimes I drive using the map rather than navigation. I don't want to be lost at an airport and have to contend with a clutter of taxiways which inevitably will be connected to or at least much closer to usable roads.

But the rules for big airports don't have to be the same as for small airports.
An advantage of mapping any non-drivable path is that it can be locked to prevent it from being attached to the drivable roadway or paved from the app.

I can imagine that there are exceptions where having a taxiway mapped could be useful, but not because anyone drives on it (as suggested by jdwaters). Ultimately whether taxiways are mapped doesn't matter much to me. I just don't see the point unless it is to prevent newbies from mapping them.

Taxiways tend to be a complex network at larger airports and if they are shown in the app, I think they would be more clutter rather than useful for orientation. So I agree with pumrum on that.

Example of small airport where taxiway crosses a public road.

Dual use taxiways should be mapped as streets or parking lot roads. But they must not connect to runways. I think we never want a connection from a drivable road to a runway, railroad, walking trail, or staircase. So if a taxiway is mapped, it should not connect to a runway.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
sketch wrote:Runways are bright yellow in the app
So far, I have not seen this. My app still doesn't display runways.
sketch wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a "dual use taxiway"; if it really is a taxiway also used as a public road, or as a small airport's parking lot, then that's fine.
Dual-use roadways in Cameron Park, California.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
voludu2 wrote:Examples which could occur at the same airport include "03L/21R", "03C/21C", "03R/21L"
We use a hyphen, not a slant.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
tonestertm wrote:...(confirmed with an Air Traffic Controller that slashes are standard naming).
He was mistaken. I have never seen a slash.
The only acceptable form is with a hyphen.

Runway sign
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
tonestertm wrote:I double checked with the aforementioned Air Traffic Controller, and, while runways are indeed painted with hyphens (visible from the air, and something a driver should never see, in normal usage) standard terminology in FAA guidance for ATCs (and perhaps others) uses slashes. Pilots apparently get little exposure to this usage unless they are diligent students.
That is just bogus as every pilot can attest. All signs for runways use hyphens as do official FAA publications such as AIM. This is an international standard. Look out the window. Those red signs with two numbers in white separated by a hyphen indicate a runway ahead. Sure, some pilots write it with a slash. But drivers refer to streets in unconventional ways at times.

There is a single international convention for runway numbering.

He says that a dash is visible from the air? Do you have permalinks for some of those?
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
Soon it could be often.
But we're driving in circles. People can and do pave while the plane is taxiing, taking off, and landing.
Having the runways mapped, named, locked, and not connected prevents or deters a lot of problems that otherwise would keep coming back.

There is a single international convention for runway numbering and it's not that hard to follow.

Permalinks are useful for seeing the aerial imagery from my computer so I don't have to fly there to verify your claim that "runways are indeed painted with hyphens (visible from the air)".
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
PesachZ wrote: I posted a permalink to JFK airport in NYC on March 16th, you could also just check the sat view at any major airport.
Those markings are on the taxiway at the hold short line before the runway. They are not on the runway. Hyphens are the international standard. The pavement marking on the taxiway are essentially the same as the signs. Slants are not used.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
It seems that the primary problem with mapping roads even as Private is that Waze will use it if it thinks that it is necessary to traverse it to get as close as possible to the destination which is not necessarily a "destination marker" as the article states, but might even be a point that the Wazer touched on the map at low resolution.
dbraughlr
Send a message