Road names/USA :: Additions, upcoming changes

Post by
Road names/USA#Road naming

1. Interstates: Local/Express lanes and Business routes.

Local/express lanes are easy: "I-96 Local W" / "I-96 Express W".

For Business routes, is there any additional benefit in the Spur/Loop distinction? Or should we just use "Business" (or "BUS" – see below) alone?

2. New/upcoming TTS changes — see this and surrounding posts

Since "SH-" has been added as a TTS abbreviation, I see no need for "State Hwy" or "State Rte" anymore.

"BUS" for "Business" has hit a snag, it works except at the end of a string, basically. So, we should wait on it, but if it is fixed, it should be the rule, right?

To achieve all-caps parity with "BUS", should we also change the guidance to "ALT", "SPUR", "TRUCK" at the same time? Also, what about "CONN" for "Connector" routes?

POSTER_ID:5415

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I don't like "BUS." Its a word.
I prefer "ALT" ...
I don't think we should not use something as an abbreviation just because it is a word. "Alt" is also a word, not only an abbreviation.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:Although for this case, IMO, the first definition of BUS is a vehicle that carries people and could be a BUS route, BUS lane, etc. The abbreviation for "Business" is a secondary thought for most people especially without the period.
I get it. I think perhaps (maybe better in another thread), that we prefer spelling out business, but in the case of long segment names, or ramps with multiple wayfinder bits of information, we allow for use of the abbreviation for the sake of screen space.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
txemt wrote:Texas has a US-90 Business as well as a US-90 Alt. They are two totally separate roads. =\
That's fine and works for me. But is there a US-90 Alternate and a US-90 Alt which are totally different?
sketch wrote:The way shield rules are apparently written means they're flexible for numbers but not letters, so we'd have to define not only US-n, US-nn, US-nnn but also US-nnA, US-nnE, US-nnW... for US highways.
It may be exception-only based, but Waze does "support" letter suffixes in shields. IMO, if there's no space, it's part of the main shield numbering. If it's one of a limited number of abbreviation strings with space after a route/interstate designation, then that should be a different shield with the appropriate signage.

I still think that it is going to be too much for Waze to take on individual state shielding for the near future. Maybe in a year or two...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
txemt wrote:I also cannot think of any US-90 Alternates or Businesses (unless there's one way out in West Texas).
I thought I-35E in Texas properly showed the 35E in the shield. I swear it used to...

Anyway, in my neck o the woods, there are are examples of several:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
txemt wrote:It did. I-35W also showed. Are they not shield anymore?
I checked livemap and didn't see it, though maybe I was looking in the right place. In contrast, I can see 99E and 99W for state routes in Oregon in livemap.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I don't like "BUS." Its a word. This is a case where I would use "Business."

Note that the FHWA seems to be pushing "Express" for variable toll lanes. Thus, you should be seeing more Local/Thru lane signage where there are no variable toll lanes.

I don't see an advantage to the Spur/Loop distinction. Is there a place where there is an I-XX Business Spur and a nearby I-XX Business Loop that could be confused for each other?

I prefer "ALT" "Alternate" "Spur" "Truck" and "By-Pass" I've not seen as sign for a connector route that I can remember so have no opinion on that one.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dbraughlr
"Conn", "La", and "Penn" are examples of names.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
This section should be reversed to show what is preferred first, not last:
Wiki wrote:== Official sources of mapping information ==

Being in the Waze community of editors means sharing information you discover and learning from the discoveries of others! You can see some of the (old) [http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=13695 official sources of mapping information (US only) provided in the forum] or check out the (new) [[Mapping resources/USA|mapping resources]] wiki page (preferred).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:I don't like "BUS." Its a word.
I prefer "ALT" ...
I don't think we should not use something as an abbreviation just because it is a word. "Alt" is also a word, not only an abbreviation.
I agree we should not make blanket statements like that.

Although for this case, IMO, the first definition of BUS is a vehicle that carries people and could be a BUS route, BUS lane, etc. The abbreviation for "Business" is a secondary thought for most people especially without the period.

ALT is less likely considered by its definition of "high" than it would be its abbreviation of Alternate when put on a navigation application.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
In New Jersey, BUSINESS is used for surface loop roads that parallel a nearby freeway with the same route number. ALT is used for other alternate loops, and SPUR is used for route branches that do not loop back to the main line. The word business is spelled out on all non-legacy signs to avoid confusion with the vehicle that carries lots of passengers, especially since some urban highways have dedicated bus lanes. New York, on the other hand, marks route loops and spurs with a letter suffix; it could be any letter and there doesn't seem to be any methodical reason to what letter is chosen.

I think we need to support all 4 means of non-mainline route designations to most-accurately reflect what people will see along the highway.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message