Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Single Track roads.

Post by AndyPot2
Have we got a policy on how single track roads should be mapped? There are loads in my area, south Buckinghamshire / south west Hertfordshire and I know most of the ones that are useful and those to avoid. However you don't need to stray too far from your home area to get routed down some that end up being more trouble than they are worth.

When I'm in my old Land Rover Defender I don't mind hitting a few massive pot holes and having hedges scraping down the side and luckily, when other drivers see a Defender coming they tend to give me right of way and back up :twisted: but when I'm in my proper car I'd rather avoid narrow single track roads completely.

Should the really badly pot holed and very narrow ones be mapped as dirt roads, or at least a short section in the middle like this example, that way anyone who has the option set to avoid long dirt roads can use them whilst others will get routed on better roads?

Andy.
AndyPot2
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16856836

Send a message

Post by AndyPot2
seriousarsonist wrote:I have quite a few of these roads around my area, generally I would just class them as Tim has said, it seems to work just fine!
Well that was the reason for my post, from my experience it doesn't seem to be working well.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for single track roads, I use quite a few around here even though it frequently means backing up to let someone pass but at certain times of the day they can be quicker than sitting on the M25. The ones I object to are those that have not been maintained and are now very pot holed or are so narrow that the overgrown bushes scrape down the side of your car.

There is one about a mile from where I live, I learnt years ago it was not worth using as it always takes longer than the alternatives but Waze still tries to route me down it several times a month.
Unfortunately Waze has not got the option to "avoid part of the route" and I don't suppose enough people with Waze use it for the average speed data to be relevant.

I noticed someone was complaining on waze.uservoice.com about one of the roads I now avoid a couple of years ago.

Maybe I'll have to ask the wife to ride her horse slowly up and down the ones near home a few times with Waze turned on so they get more traffic data :roll:.
AndyPot2
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
I have quite a few of these roads around my area, generally I would just class them as Tim has said, it seems to work just fine!

Pip

Level 5 Area Manager - North of Ireland
Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
Mark them as dirt roads (hate that term) and then it's up to the wazer to use them or not (it's in their options)

Over here in sunny NI most people know the risks of back roads even the stupidly rich

Level 5 Area Manager - North of Ireland
Tapatalk on iPhone
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by Superfraggle
As a personal opinion, I'm in two minds, a while ago waze saved me over an hour of traffic by routing me down such roads.
However, I recently seen one of the roads I travelled on has been set to private road, I assume to prevent routing as its quite a narrow road.

By avoiding the roads you are leaving less options for traffic avoidance, but at the same time these roads can be a nightmare to navigate on especially if you don't know them and are not well equipped to do so. Although I have never had a problem on some really bad roads, even on my lowly ford focus.

I think we need a new street type/option to ignore really, similar to other products, some people don't like single track with passing points in any cars.
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///AvrXT[/img][img]https:///p9mgM[/img]

Post by Timbones
Generally, single track roads should be treated as ordinary Streets, and Waze will learn the average speeds as appropriate. The routing engine usually prefers higher class roads anyway.

If a single track road is particularly treacherous, very narrow, has grass down the middle or goes through a farm, then dirt track may be most appropriate.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries