Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Red light camera behaviour

Post by mithrandi
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Speed_and_Tr ... mera_Types says:
Note: Some red light cameras such as Monitron and RedSpeed are capable of recording speed limit violations as well as driving through a red light, however, the speed for all red light cameras should be set to zero so that you are always warned of their presence.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Cameras#Camera_Speed says:
Can also be set for a Red Light Camera if it monitors for Speed Limit Violations as well. Leave set to blank if speed is not monitored.
While a Red Light Camera will always give an alert in the client as a driver approaches, a Speed Camera will always show a pop-up alert, but will only generate an audible alert if the driver is exceeding the set Speed Limit as they approach the camera.
So... which one is correct? In particular, is it necessary to have both a Red Light Camera and a Speed Camera added at an intersection which has both? (as is the case for almost all of our red light cameras in South Africa)
mithrandi

POSTER_ID:362912

Send a message
Tristan Seligmann
AM: Johannesburg, South Africa
Community expert: South Africa (client / Android / editing / routing)
Android 4.1 / HTC One X

Post by LeighGr
I fully agree with you. Why the UK wiki states that the speed should always be set to zero is bizarre.
mithrandi wrote:https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Speed_and_Tr ... mera_Types says:
Note: Some red light cameras such as Monitron and RedSpeed are capable of recording speed limit violations as well as driving through a red light, however, the speed for all red light cameras should be set to zero so that you are always warned of their presence.
If you're law abiding and keeping to the speed limit, you don't want to know about every single camera on the road. It would drive me nuts. I had one around the corner here in Cape Town, where the limit used to be 40 kph, due to a very sharp corner. The limit was raised to 60 kph a few months ago, yet camera in Waze was still set to 40 kph, and would warn you every time. Drove my wife nuts.

Red light cameras are always announced, so the speed setting should be set to the posted limit.

If the driver wants to ignore both, let them face the consequences.
LeighGr
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Leigh Greyling
Redmi 8, Android 10.0.0, Waze: Whatever the latest beta is!
LC: South Africa
CM: Southern Africa

Post by nhanway
Camera Wiki says you only need to place Red Light Camera and set the speed.

If you have both red light and speed camera in that close proximity I believe Waze will only warn you of one. In a similar way when there are more then one road report on half mile section of road Waze will only warn you of one of the reports.

I hope this answers your question.
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nhanway
Maybe I wasn't clear.

It is not necessary to add both a Red Light Camera and a Speed Camera.
If you added both you would only be warned for one or the other.

Camera Speed
While a Red Light Camera will always give an alert in the client as a driver approaches, a Speed Camera will always show a pop-up alert, but will only generate an audible alert if the driver is exceeding the set Speed Limit as they approach the camera.
Speed Cameras
If a Red Light Camera Installation monitors Speed Limit Violations, there is no need to add a separate Speed Camera. The speed limit can be applied directly to the Red Light Camera. See the section on Camera Speed for details.
So the above I quoted directly out of the wiki.

#2. Should be followed if Red Light Camera Installation monitors Speed Limit Violations.

Does that make it more clear?
nhanway
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
nhanway wrote:I hope this answers your question.
Apparently you didn't read his question, because he quoted numerous places in the wikis that conflict. Your answer was not helpful.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter