Post by MGODLEW
sketch wrote:Perhaps a difference in the law. Parking in one shopping center and walking to another can get you towed in the USA.
Most definitely, we had a big issue here locally in Wilkes-Barre on St. Patty's Day where entire parking lots were towed of people who were going to St. Patty's Day Parades
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by MGODLEW
AndyPoms wrote: Construction Site - It says "Area" and "Not necessary to be mapped." - that seems to me to be both a "yes" and a "no" at the same time. How do we define this? If someone is building a McDonalds or something, does it really need to be on the map?
Perhaps since there is no way to permanently flag a construction zone in WME without adding CONST ZN to the road name, you can overlay construction site area over top of roads that are under long term construction?

Also,
daknife wrote: One more question. On Hospitals/Medical Centers are we sticking with Full service hospitals and Urgent Care clinics? I would suggest keeping Urgent care/ER clinics be marked with points while full hospitals get an area with perhaps a point (labeled ER) on the public ER entrance, and the one on the general purpose entrance.
By default, when using area for a hospital, I would place the Area placement marker automatically at the ER entrance. In an emergency, I'd hate to see people being directed to a parking garage on the opposite side of the hospital instead of the ER.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by moweez
I was wondering what will happen if a search for a place/point in the client renders different locations from different sources: what is given priority?
(I truly hope this will be the Waze database)
moweez
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I feel like I'm going to be very afraid to turn on the Places layer.

Side note, will there be a specific user request or layer for place updates?
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
petervdveen wrote:Why are these points at the side of the building and not nicely in the middle?
Because the points are the location that drivers will be routed to, and we want the routing to go to the front of the building via the parking lot road, and not to the rear of the building via a neighborhood street (which happens sometimes when placing points in the center of buildings/properties).
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
MGODLEW wrote:Should we start updating each state's wiki? For example in PA:

From: Landmarks in Pennsylvania should follow the guidelines for Connecticut until the national standard is complete.

To: Pennsylvania should follow the Places Wiki for guidance in regards to mapping Points of Interest & Businesses.
I had started this thread along those lines: [Dissolution] Landmarks
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
petervdveen wrote:We don't really have parking lots specific for one destination. Maybe at an airport, but then I will navigate to the parking lot.
Sure you do!
Like:
Hospitals
Malls
Supermarkets
Auto Repair Garages
Tourist Destinations
Colleges
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
Found a issue today:
The table lists train stations as a "point", but the parking lot directive from landmarks says that associated PLots should be included in train station "landmarks". Should we either: delete associated PLots or change the guidance and include PLots in Train Station "Areas."
Transportation - Train Station - Point
In nearly all situations parking associated with any other landmark, such as a shopping mall or train station, should NOT be landmarked separately using the Parking Lot type.
The Parking Lot landmark is [b]NEVER appropriate for[/b] wrote:Generic unnamed/unidentified parking lots associated with an already-landmarked complex such as an Airport, Train station, or Bus Station/Bus Terminal.
FYI, Here's the train station that started it all, its a MD-DC commuter train: PermaLink
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
bretmcvey wrote: Most locations I'm thinking of are the basic US Interstate system rest areas maintained by states that are typically nothing more than a restroom stops with some vending machines.
Clearly you haven't been to the new Maryland House.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by nzahn1 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nzahn1
Is there going to be a discussion on naming convention for area/places too?

I guess it depends on what shows in search and on the client.

For example, charging stations. Do we name it for the associated business/office or generic as "Charging Station" or "EV Charger" or something else.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message