Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by nzahn1
It would be nice if some categories showed in the client, even as points like emergency services (police, fire, hospital), gas stations, etc...

But we will have to wait for an app update cycle to see what we get.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter

Post by nzahn1
I know this technically is a World-related thread, but I had a USA-related Places question:
Are we going to be releasing naming guidelines for places as well?

For example: Should every school have "school" at the end of the name, or is Elementary, Middle, Jr. High, or High enough? e.g. "Woodbridge Elementary School" vs "Woodbridge Elementary."

I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
irowiki wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:I'm all about making visible names on the map more readable at a glance, and "school" looks redundant to me.
I agree with this, but what about say, parks? Labeling a park landmark with "Brookside" or "Brookside Park", what would look better?
Hence the need for naming conventions; and I feel like this should be a nationwide debate rather than by state.
As for parks, I'd say "park" is needed for the name to make sense.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
irowiki wrote:Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
I've just started building a list for Baltimore, I could open it up to nationwide comment if desired.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:
irowiki wrote:Makes sense to try and come up with naming conventions per category then, I'd say!
I've just started building a list for Baltimore, I could open it up to nationwide comment if desired.
We should always be starting with national conventions.
I agree, but I didn't want to be so bold as to assume that my ideas were fit for the whole country, or that conventions that I've generated apply to everyone. That said, the list is linked below, and anyone can feel free to comment, add ideas, and populate it further. Every once and a while I will sort it based on name (when no one is editing).
http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/carlosjj/google-jfk/48/spreadsheets-icon.pngWaze Naming Conventions
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
Marleenonline wrote:I was wondering what will happen if a search for a place/point in the client renders different locations from different sources: what is given priority?
(I truly hope this will be the Waze database)
Well, google's results are included in the instant results. If you actually press the search key, I've been getting waze results first, but I've heard the priority is given to the last database you used.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
doctorkb wrote:Begging your pardon, but when did we achieve this consensus about the clinics and doctors offices?
I saw at least 4 recent participants agree, and you commented after his proposal without objection.
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by orbitc
Since you can put multiple categories, why not put both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
PesachZ wrote:
orbitc wrote:Since you can put multiple categories, why not put both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The question is whether it is appropriate to use the hospital/medical care type for a facility which does not provide urgent or emergent medical care. The argument against doing so was mentioned earlier, to paraphrase; If someone was in need of emergency or urgent care and searched for hospital or medical care, it would be prudent for us to ensure that only places that provided urgent or emergent care showed as top results.

I agreed with that reasoning, and liked the suggestion of using the offices type, being that they are medical offices. Unless someone else has better guidance, for now I left it as offices (and whatever other secondary categories fit for that campus).
Yes, but the category is Hospital and medical care. If it's an emergency situations, I would think, you' would call 911. I personally, don't think to include doctors under offices. I would think, doctors should fall under medical care
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orbitc
Let's not forget those Pharmacies that are open 24 hrs. You can get some kind of emergency treatment there as well. Should they be mark as Medical care? Perhaps.
I would think to go to 24 hrs pharmacy or fire station in an emergency situations and not to doctors office. But the question is should doctors marked as offices? I think, better option would be Doctors or Non emergency medical care. Her I say it: I think, we need more categories
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

USA | MapRaid!