Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Updated] House Numbers in WME

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've provided some more detail and clarification in the [[House Numbers in WME page]]. Specifically, I added a section called "Errors" which deals both with error messages and forcing together in once section.

The "Forcing" section no longer exists, as the important info is now in the Errors section. What was left looked like miscellaneous tips and info, so I added a Tips heading.

Now, I need to find out where to find links in the wiki which might have pointed to the old "Forcing" section.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jdeyoung wrote:In any case, correcting the auto-placed house numbers screams for a more systemic fix - or automation potential.
Waze does not want to assume that the auto-placed house numbers are correctly placed. So, because they already match an existing (I think google's) address location, that provider's address will continue to be the "master" until the Waze address is adjusted to fix it. Logically, this makes really good sense.

The downfall here is that the stop point, for many non-residential (within parking lot areas), and some residential (long shared private drives) is NOT where you want to end navigation. The stop point could be several turns or 1/2 mile away from the actual address, so adjusting these house numbers within Waze actually reduces the usability and effectiveness of routing, and why I often prefer to fix those kinds of address at Google Maps and leave the Waze # alone, or delete it. The stop point placement is just that bad, IMO.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:I would just delete your house number from Waze and let Google take care of it.
Exactly. Once you move a house number, it overrides external searches. If the navigation is incorrect, then you can only delete the house number. Waze has said they will probably update house numbers to be able to stop on any* nearby* segment, but that isn't in the current pipeline.

*Definition TBD
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Made two updates to the caveats section. One was to remove the red "dire warning" about house numbers not being used. Now that they are preferred after being modified/added in WME, that needed to be called out.

What may need more discussion/clarification is this new statement: "If an address is on an unnamed private roads and the marker is a long way from the actual house location, it is advisable to delete the Waze house number and properly adjust only the Google Maps address marker."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
krikketdoug wrote:... how to I get an end-point for the Places marker?
Only Areas have flexible stop points. ("Flexible" to mean being able to be located away from the Place itself.)

It's covered in the wiki: http://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places#Settin ... or_a_Place
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bigbear3764 wrote:I did a search for Bistro Wasabi and got a auto fill result right where your pin is at and it routed me right to it. But I also get an address and telephone number which aren't in the Waze pin place marker info.
That the google location.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I am proposing to change the following text in the House Numbers page:
  • If an address is on an unnamed private roads and the marker is a long way from the actual house location, it is advisable to delete the Waze house number and properly adjust only the Google Maps address marker.
  • If the correct approach entrance to an address is from a street or segment other than the street the address is named after, then a Waze House Number for that address should not be used. Allow the Waze search and routing engine rely on the Google Maps address marker instead.
to
  • If an address is on an unnamed private roads and the marker is a long way from the actual house location, delete the Waze house number and add a private residence Place marker which contains only the address.
  • If the correct approach entrance to an address is from a street or segment other than the street the address is named after, then a Waze House Number for that address should not be used. Instead, add a private residence Place marker which contains only the address.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
I remember seeing a post that the champs were going to find out from waze what added to WME causes a tile update. Did we find out if adding house numbers causes a tile update or do we have to nudge the road to get the update. Seems like we do, we have done a lot in Chicago and have had to adjust roads to get them to show in search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
kentsmith9 wrote: Currently no update from house number edits. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Map_tiles#Trigger_updates
That's what I was looking for, thanks.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
I did a search for Bistro Wasabi and got a auto fill result right where your pin is at and it routed me right to it. But I also get an address and telephone number which aren't in the Waze pin place marker info.

Anyway, if it is routing right now, what's wrong with where it is at?
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message