Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
Agreed. I think guidance should be at this point that where the stop point should not be on the named street, the house number should not be in the waze data.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
krikketdoug wrote:But shouldn't it have switched to a regular street when the parking lot road crossed it?
No waze applies a penalty to leave a parking lot road for another street type. Since going from alley to alley at the junctions where the streets cross do not require leaving the parking lot road type, there is no penalty. Once on the parking lot road, waze will try to stay on the parking lot road to the destination if possible.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
DwarfLord wrote:
  • Is it necessary to remove the address from the nav list and favorites under these conditions, when the Google pin has not changed but is rather being superseded entirely?
  • If the reporter removes the address from the nav list and favorites, then searches for the address again, are they guaranteed to get the Waze House Number provided it's been "touched" and the tiles have updated?
  • If so, does the Google position then become completely unused by and irrelevant to Waze (except for users who haven't cleared the stale address from cache)?
I'm guessing yes, yes, and yes... :?
I would say no, no and no.
I agree with sketch.

1)You don't need to delete the entries from the nav list and favorites. But to route to the new stop point you must perform a new search.
2) There are few guarantees. As sketch points out the search must match the waze data. So variations of the street name may cause problems. But variations in the city name can cause problems as well. If Google uses the postal address city and waze does not and the user searches for the postal address, then they most likely will get the Google pin location.
3) Not irrelevant. You can still route to the Google pin location by selecting the search result from the Google tab.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:I wasn't aware that it was still possible to manually select a Google address result even with a matched Waze result, though. As far as I know, the Instant results (which are all Google) do go through the Waze matching process. I could be wrong here as well, but I hope not.
My current test case is 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd, Annapolis, MD. I'd be happy for anyone to check to see what results they get for this address. Some users seem to get different results than I do.
DwarfLord wrote:2. In order to get to the part of the app where one can select Google as a data source, one must scroll to the bottom of the default results screen and select "More results for xxx". So rephrasing my question: once the House Number is in Waze and updated etc., is the Google result for a street address -- provided a Waze match is found -- always relegated to the "More results for..." process?
This works a little differently for me (I'm using Android 4.4.2). When typing a search term, a soft keyboard is shown. This keyboard has a search glass button that whenever tapped will bypass the autofill results and take me to the search results with the search provider tabs. So I don't necessarily need to scroll to the bottom to get to the search results. Additionally, if I have a slow network connection, waze may not display the autofill results at all, in which case the only way to get any results is to tap the search glass button.
DwarfLord wrote:FYI all, here is the revised language for the new item in the House Numbers article:
The Waze app cannot update the position of an address already listed as a recent or favorite destination. The user must add the destination again to obtain the most recent position data. Removing any existing instances of the destination before doing so will reduce the chance of confusion.

This sounds good to me.
tonestertm wrote:So in this case, the first item on the list is the Trader Joe's listing
I agree with what you are saying and the screenshoot is a good example of the various icons. However, I would note that POI and address searches are conducted differently. So the waze house numbers will not effect a search for "Trader Joe's."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
tonestertm wrote:
CBenson wrote:My current test case is 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd, Annapolis, MD. I'd be happy for anyone to check to see what results they get for this address. Some users seem to get different results than I do.
In autofill I get "2172 Mulberry Hill Road" with map marker as soon as I get to the "h" in Hill.
Where does the pin show if you select the autofill result?
Here:
MUL1.png
(68.46 KiB) Downloaded 1767 times
or here:
MUL2.png
(74.14 KiB) Downloaded 1771 times
tonestertm wrote: Popping that result up to the search box and going full search (more results...) with it, it doesn't come up in the Waze listings, and nothing in the Google listings, either. (Possibly due to my being on the other coast.)
Yes, the resultults are likely limited if you are that far away.
tonestertm wrote:If I go back and shorten Road to Rd, I get an autofill result, "2172 Mulberry Hill Rd" with a map marker. Both of the autofill results show me a point on Mulberry Hill Road which would appear to be the correct spot, but I can't tell for sure, because there's no HN in WME, and no Street View there. ;)
There is a HN in WME:
MULHNL.png
(332.65 KiB) Downloaded 1770 times

tonestertm wrote:After adding "annapolis" to either "Road" or "Rd" and doing a full search, I then get a Waze result for, seemingly randomly, "2172 Mulberry Hill Rd" " 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd" (note the space in front of the number) but no Google result. It also alternately tells me it's either 2304 or 2421 miles away (no connection to the space/no space result), but when tapping the result, it shows the pin in the correct spot every time. Let me know if I didn't say any of this clearly, or if you'd like further experimentation.
Again which spot is the pin showing?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
tonestertm wrote:
CBenson wrote:Where does the pin show if you select the autofill result?
The second image. Sorry, I thought that specifying on Mulberry Hill Rd would be enough... :)
Great. So the Waze stop point is overriding the Google result if you select either "2172 Mulberry Hill Rd, Annapolis, MD" or "2172 Mulberry Hill Road, Annapolis, MD" from the autofill list. This is the same result I get.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
You can't move a House Number stop point off of the named street.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by coontex
How about when you add new house numbers, does it use this new information for the navigation and override the external sources.
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by coontex
Is there any plans on starting to use the postal city names in the future for streets to help out with routing to houses that are outside of city limits.
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Except if I've missed the forum thread dealing with this, I've detected potential unexpected changes on this wiki page.

This addition seems to be, however, relevant but required to be assessed.
At least, I suggest a review of this bullet point and, probably, the replacement of the last link (search in the forum) by a link to this thread.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message