Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by dbraughlr
robindlc wrote:... (lets say less than 30 grades)? A kind of warning, "Turn with too low angle, pls check"
I think that your proposed rule could be applied based on the lowest class of the roads forming the angle. Streets, dirt roads, and parking lot roads may have such sharp turn angles. Freeways never do.
Ramps junctions probably are where this type of error occurs most.

I consider going straight to be an angle (course deflection) of 0.
Turning left or right in a perpendicular intersection is an angle of 90°.
You are talking about a turn greater than 150°.

After you have checked a turn that is greater than 150° and see that it is fine, then what?
U-turns in bowtie intersections sometimes are very tight because of the need to have a nearly parallel interception angle to get the correct turn instructions.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
berestovskyy wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:When a USA street name starts with a compass indicator [ENSW], the next word should start with a capital letter.
We can go further and check if every word in the street name starts with a capital letter. But at the moment #94 is checking just the beginning of the street name.
Negative. The rule applies only to the first letter of the first word. A compass indicator prefix is not the first word of a name.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
irowiki wrote:Would also be nice to have a way to search for all elevation not set to "Ground" in an area where there are no tunnels, bridges or overpasses.
It might be nice, but Waze has no way to know this. There is nothing to validate.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
bz2012 wrote: Validator flags the segment with a 'turn too sharp' at the north end when that end has the restricted turn (yellow) 24/7, but passes it when the turn is forbidden (red).
Make it red. If someone makes it green, it will fail validation.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
irowiki wrote:I meant, search for segments that aren't set to ground level currently, but that would probably be another script!
Are you talking about Level Highlighter?
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.
"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.
"S De la Cruz Blvd" → error.
"N Via de las Cruces Hwy" → error.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
berestovskyy wrote: In both cases to check if a segment intersects with another, we have to compare it with every other segment on the map = very slow. Sorry, it won't be implemented unless we found another solution :(
Comparisons can be greatly pruned by segregating roads into smaller map squares. Roads which are completely confined to a small square need be checked only other roads which intersect the square it occupies. No segment needs to be checked against all others. Most segments need to be checked against only other roads in the local area.

Create buckets to divide the map into equal sized squares, say 1 km².

For each segment on the map, determine which square(s) it crosses and add it (or a portion of it) to the bucket for those square(s). Repeat until all segments are distributed to the buckets.

For each bucket, compare each segment (or portions of a segment) against all those segments in that bucket.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
kentsmith9 wrote:Why are these two an error?
"S De la Cruz Blvd" → error.
"N Via de las Cruces Hwy" → error.
1. Failure to capitalize "La" of "La Cruz".
2. Failure to capitalize "Las" of "Las Cruces".
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
berestovskyy wrote: No doubt those buckets will reduce number of comparisons, but add complexity. And still there are will be thousands of comparisons and the check still will be very slow.
- a few thousand comparisons - not hundreds of thousands. But if it is too slow, make the squares smaller.
When the squares are under 25 m², the algorithm approaches Ο(n) time.
berestovskyy wrote: So we're looking at quite slow and complex check here. But what's is the "goal"? Does this non-ground elevation affects TTS or routing?
I would be looking for drivable segments at the same elevation that touch or cross without forming a junction. These might look okay, but they do not route correctly.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
kentsmith9 wrote: I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.
Are you now satisfied that there is no discrepancy between my statements?
"La Cruz" gets capitalized for the same reason that "Las Cruces" is capitalized.
kentsmith9 wrote: I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country.
Current exceptions for the USA for first word of name:
  • to
kentsmith9 wrote: I now understand the second one if 'las' is not on the accepted list. I would then understand the first one if 'de' was not on the original displayed list.
The main point of my post was to demonstrate that allowing a word to be lowercase necessarily will fail to detect when that word should be capitalized and that the compass direction (e.g., "W de Vanter Ave") must be excluded when evaluating what is the first letter of a name.

Note to sketch: We have one (quirky) example so far in the entire USA. Programming Validator to allow some lowercase exceptions carries that trade-off that an incorrectly lowercase usage is accepted just so the rare exception won't be flagged.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.