Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Road names/USA :: Additions, upcoming changes

Post by sketch
Road names/USA#Road naming

1. Interstates: Local/Express lanes and Business routes.

Local/express lanes are easy: "I-96 Local W" / "I-96 Express W".

For Business routes, is there any additional benefit in the Spur/Loop distinction? Or should we just use "Business" (or "BUS" – see below) alone?

2. New/upcoming TTS changes — see this and surrounding posts

Since "SH-" has been added as a TTS abbreviation, I see no need for "State Hwy" or "State Rte" anymore.

"BUS" for "Business" has hit a snag, it works except at the end of a string, basically. So, we should wait on it, but if it is fixed, it should be the rule, right?

To achieve all-caps parity with "BUS", should we also change the guidance to "ALT", "SPUR", "TRUCK" at the same time? Also, what about "CONN" for "Connector" routes?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:5415

Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by PhantomSoul
I see what you mean. The BUSINESS, ALT, SPUR, etc. are probably less important in the shield on the map display than in the actual navigation, especially if you have to choose a turn based on a route's main line vs one of its loops or spurs. The letter suffixes in NY are a tougher call though, because the letter suffix appears natively in the shield after the number on the same sign piece.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by sketch
I think we should be consistent though — at least, if we're going to use it on some ramps, we should use it on all ramps.

As for the roads themselves, I was hoping for the possibility of getting shields for bannered routes, like one for "US-xx BUS" and one for "US-xx ALT" and so forth, so it wouldn't matter so much.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Not sure what you mean by "support"—you mean for shields? If so, yes, and that's what makes it such a difficult undertaking in the US.

The way shield rules are apparently written means they're flexible for numbers but not letters, so we'd have to define not only US-n, US-nn, US-nnn but also US-nnA, US-nnE, US-nnW... for US highways.

We want to support every system, but also we don't want to waste any space or energy on redundancies. We can put every type of SR-nnn ALT or whatever to cover each type of road, but I don't think Waze would appreciate us sending them a list with SR-nnn ALT, SR-nnn Alt, SR-nnn Alternate... on it.

To that end, I'd like to see some sort of standardization. If we use BUS, we should also use ALT, SPUR, CONN, BYP. If we want to use Alt, Spur, Byp then we have to use Business and Connector. Mixing all caps and initial caps looks bad.

That would apply to the US system and any state system that uses those designations. Other methods exist, and we'd write shields in for them too, but A at the end is always just gonna be A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
In every case they're part of the route name. I wouldn't want an "89" shield on 89A just like I wouldn't want a plain "90" shield on 90 BUS. Google does that and it's infuriating (and potentially confusing).

90 BUS is a different route than 90 so it should have a different shield. Same way that 89A is a different route than 89. It'd be particularly bad to see "94" on an Interstate shield for I-94 BUS, which is not even a freeway.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
35E may have been added manually.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by txemt
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:I don't like "BUS." Its a word.
I prefer "ALT" ...
I don't think we should not use something as an abbreviation just because it is a word. "Alt" is also a word, not only an abbreviation.
Texas has a US-90 Business as well as a US-90 Alt. They are two totally separate roads. =\
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
txemt wrote:Texas has a US-90 Business as well as a US-90 Alt. They are two totally separate roads. =\
That's fine and works for me. But is there a US-90 Alternate and a US-90 Alt which are totally different?
US-90 Alt connects Seguin, Texas with the east side of Houston, roughly 250 miles or so. It is south of I-10 while US-90 criss crosses 10. To my knowledge, there isn't a 90-Alt Alternate, or 90-Alt Business. I also cannot think of any US-90 Alternates or Businesses (unless there's one way out in West Texas).
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I thought I-35E in Texas properly showed the 35E in the shield. I swear it used to...
It did. I-35W also showed. Are they not shield anymore?
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I checked in the app and the E and W are gone.
txemt
Send a message