No GPS Reception  Topic is solved

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Issue - Waze repeatedly losing GPS signal

Postby RenoHuskerDu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:31 pm

AndyPoms wrote:... Please zoom in and select the road(s) you were on before you create your permalink. That way we can look at specifics.

Also, you may want to check with other French Wazers in the Board index ‹ Community ‹ Country (Language) Forums ‹ France [Français] sub-forum.

This problem occurs everywhere I drive, so zooming in on a particular section would be of no use. No matter where I go, Waze will act up once every 5-15 minutes and get lost. During this time, GPS Status & Toolbox, which is running, has a fix on 5-9 satellites. In an area where Waze worked fine yesterday, it may act up there the next day.

I also get 'spinning map' syndrome, to coin a phrase. Driving down the freeway, Waze's map spins wildly out of control, as if it had no idea which direction I was going (but I am going 83mph in only one direction, fortunately).

I don't speak French well.
Alsace, France. Wiko, OnePlus One, and Motorola phones. Our Wiko phones have very poor GPS. To run Waze, avoid Wiko phones.
RenoHuskerDu

Postby holzereck » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:17 am

Hi guys,
I’m also getting a similar problem on my Moto G (see: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=86200).
As I’m new to both Smart phones as well as sat-nav gear, I’m not sure where my phone knowledge/signals cross over my WAZE knowledge/signals.
Before trying waze I used the in-built sat-nav.
This is great, apart from it robs me of my phone balance. I am now disabled and use my phone on payg, so need to keep an eye on its use.
It also uses proper satellite images instead of drawings.

Yesterday I kept losing signals along the main A30 (UK) – no trees or buildings to block signals.
Before seeking an alternative system, I’d like to know what’s happening,,,, & if it can be fixed.

Cheers all
Motorola G :: Android 4.4 KitKat :: Mercedes
holzereck

Postby john398 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 pm

I am having the lost of GPS signal on my Galaxy Tablet as well, I will follow this thread
john398

Postby RenoHuskerDu » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 pm

Things are MUCH better since the last Waze software update. Waze still gets lost, but only occasionally. :D
Alsace, France. Wiko, OnePlus One, and Motorola phones. Our Wiko phones have very poor GPS. To run Waze, avoid Wiko phones.
RenoHuskerDu

Postby ARW-Raudhah » Sat May 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Probably waze app and database has got too big. Once you have a BIG thing to manage, the balancing of everything becomes a new challenge. Just imagine you keep upgrading your car with not-as-fast or stagnant financial affordability, your life will be upside-down, too.

While waze is doing great in giving us the clear map of the world to drive around, and so much more than we don't find in other app, we should be patient, while keep reminding waze that keeping its platform strong for GPS reception is crucial for long term survival to be the best choice of GPS navigation app.

After all, it's free. We should be thankful, and back to the who-is-responsible part, if anyone of us complaining so much is willing to join their app engineering group (for free), I suppose you can write in to them, and they will be more than happy to provide you a working table. Permanent employment guaranteed.
ARW-Raudhah

Postby ARW-Raudhah » Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 pm

The hopelessness of even after "GPS Test" has successfully acquired GPS coordination, waze still insists on its "No GPS. Pleaes try climbing a tall building or stay in the middle of an ocean." notification.
ARW-Raudhah

Postby stampy72 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:52 am

Hi All,

First post here, so be gentle..... ;)

Using Waze and my Samsung s5 I drove to see a friend in Oakham last week and it covered the WHOLE trip there and back.

I did the same trip yesterday using my s3, and it kept losing the signal every 5 minutes or so - even after stopping (and staying still) for 5 minutes at a Level Crossing it STILL couldn't pick up a signal!!!

Will try the "screws" trick when I get home from work, and have also tried the GPS Test option - will try driving home using my s3 as the Nav to see if that has fixed it....

I know that when I installed Waze on my s5, it asked me to change a setting on one of the GPS menus to HIGH - the s3 doesn't have this option...

Will report back with any news!
stampy72

Postby Leemet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Same problem on Sony Xperia V: after updating to Android 4.3, GPS is not working properly. However, other apps (Endomondo, Sports Tracker, Navigon, MapFactor, etc) using GPS are more or less coping with the problem, losing satellite lock for few seconds every now and then, but Waze has become completely useless. It never gets lock at all and if it does, then for a brief moment only. And when GPS is locked to the satellites by some other app and you launch Waze, lock is lost immediately. Is there any solution around for that issue?
Leemet

Postby stampy72 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm

As a reply to my earlier post - running GPS Test seems to have cured it!!
stampy72

Postby MicheleSpartano » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:31 am

Hi to all!

I've a similar issue described above with my Galaxy S2. Tested on CyanogenMod 11 M7 (Android 4.4.2), SlimKat <i-don't-remeber-version> (Android 4.4.2) and CyanogenMod 11 M8 (Android 4.4.4).

I used Waze for 10 days with Cyano11M7 and the GPS connection has worked fine.
After some days, the GPS connection begins to get worse...and now during the navigation Waze loses the GPS signal most of the time.

I thought that there is a firmware problem, so I flashed with the firmwares indicated above, but the issue still remains.
I thought that there is a hardware problem, so I tested with the "GPS Test" and "GPS Fix and Toolbox" apps. I noted that these tools detect that GPS works fine but when I turn on Waze the GPS Toolbox shows a discontinuous connection.

Today, after flashing with the CM M8, I sit in my car an turn on Waze but I have the same issue. So, I try to switch to Google Maps and....surprise...the navigation works fine. I had no disconnections!

I think that the Galaxy S2 has not the best GPS hardware in the world, but I don't understand why the behavior of Waze is changed, while G Maps works properly.

If anyone has an explanation, it really is welcomed!!

PS.: some posts above I read that on Galaxy it could help to fix better the internal screws.....I will try also this!
MicheleSpartano

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App