Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Places(point) vs Addresses

Post by krikketdoug
A related thread from the editor's point of view is located at: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=89946

I'm referencing each thread because they are related, although different in matter, and I think there might be a cross-interest.

Right now I'm talking about the new Places(point) feature. When I'm in Downer's Grove, IL, and I look up "Red Lobster" I get the following results:

http://s14.postimg.org/th5pxlga9/waze_rl.jpg

I'm guessing that the human-head icon is the Places(area) reference, because I haven't seen it before, and it gives directions differently than a street address or a favorites search. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Krikket
krikketdoug

POSTER_ID:16805417

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Head = Contact
Star = Favorite
Clock = Navigation History
Marker = Google search result
Magnifying glass = search for this phrase

Arrow on the right means "put this text into the search box" (first line of text I think)

Did I miss any?

Waze Places will never (according to the founder) show in the autofull. You must search for it by tapping Search and not tapping one of the autofill results. Obnoxious right? We know. :roll: But if a search result matches a Waze Place, the Waze hit "wins." Could it be more complicated? Not much....
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mdavidsonjr wrote:They need to have it so that waze would be the first search. With more and more places being added to the waze map it will get better results.
Lots of us share your opinion. Waze disagrees and will not, for the foreseeable future, make this happen.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
krikketdoug wrote:Okay. I can accept this, but don't agree with the answer. Is it permissible to ask why this won't happen? It seems to be the next logical step...
Developing a new fuzzy-logic search algorithm against the Waze data sources is so many 100s (or 1000s) of hours which Waze does not want to spend on that when then can use Google's.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mdavidsonjr wrote:Why even put places on the map then if it will not be used at least in the future.
Why do you think they don't? Users must pay attention to which search provider is being used. The Waze tab has had Waze Places (landmarks in the past) showing up in Search results for years.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
The head means it is coming from your contacts. I just tried searching "mom" and get the same thing.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by coontex
They need to have it so that waze would be the first search. With more and more places being added to the waze map it will get better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by coontex
Why even put places on the map then if it will not be used at least in the future.

coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by coontex
Ok thanks for letting us know that we are no wasting time by adding them as waze will use it in the future .

coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by coontex
Thanks Alan but a lot of people do not know this. I even found today while working with a UR for the last week and a half on that I could not even get the waze app to let me select the search engines on an address that I added over a week ago so I modified it some to see if it will do the same thing in the next few days after the next tile update. I know that they can be used but most people that use the app don't from what I have found.

coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message