Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Where to update/enter address data.

Post by Lequs
I'm a bit confused on this, apologize if I just missed a source of information.
Read through the Wiki and various posts here on where the navigation function gets its addresses.
I've heard:
-All addresses for navigation comes from Google.
-All addresses came from Google but from here forward all new roads rely only on waze user entered addresses.
-All addresses need to be entered into waze for all streets.

Let me put it this way. Two questions:
1. Addresses for an old existing street are in Google but inaccurate. Should I put the correct addresses at the correct locations in waze only. Update them in Google mapmaker only? Both?
2. Section of new road (or older road) with no address data at either place (waze/google). Should address data be entered in waze only? Google? Both?

Again, sorry if this has been answered but its not really clear to me and I don't really want to put in hours of data entry on a source that will not help users of waze at all.
Thanks!
Lequs

POSTER_ID:16851795

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Lequs wrote:Let me put it this way. Two questions:
1. Addresses for an old existing street are in Google but inaccurate. Should I put the correct addresses at the correct locations in waze only. Update them in Google mapmaker only? Both?
2. Section of new road (or older road) with no address data at either place (waze/google). Should address data be entered in waze only? Google? Both?
1. Your choice. If the address is more closely located to an unnamed private road and there are multiple nearby addresses which could lead to confusion if the stop point is on the street, use google and remove Waze HNs. If these are houses directly on a named street and little chance of confusion, update the Waze marker so it will be preferred over google.

2. Add it to Waze, but taking into consideration the "long private/shared drive" situation I brought up in the first answer.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Lequs wrote:Just to be clear to me, let me know if this is wrong...basically update them in either, add new ones in waze. With the caveat of long driveways usually functioning better in Google.
That's a pretty good summation. Google addresses inside of parking lots usually work better too, for the same reasons.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Lequs
Thank you for the response.
Just to be clear to me, let me know if this is wrong...basically update them in either, add new ones in waze. With the caveat of long driveways usually functioning better in Google.

Thanks again,
Lequs
Lequs
Send a message