This is the place to discuss issues that are relevant for locations in the US. For any other discussions, please use the main forums.
Post by kentsmith9
It appears that Dist is not pronounced as District. Based on other threads spelling it out I assume that has never been converted to an abbreviation so I will spell it out on the Ramp name.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I am pretty sure Crk is not pronounced "Creek", but rather "See Are Kay". I say pretty sure because I have since updated the roadway name to have it spelled out. There is a very small chance it was "CRK", but pretty sure it was "Crk".

I can update this table with failed unless we can change it.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Suf ... reviations

I don't think it is a big deal since it is likely only used as a name and not a road type (drive, way, road), but it would be good for long names to be able to shorten it to "Crk".

Do we have a standard request line for this, or do we just send it in under the nanorep support request?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AndyPoms wrote:Remember there was a period of time when auto-capitalization just started where the word "to" was not exempt & it was automatically changed to "To", so there may be more ramps out there like this...
That was during July or Aug this summer. I have a bunch around me that came from my edits during that time.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:
Timbones wrote:
orbitc wrote:Would you put Avenue S as Ave 'S' or just leave it as Avenue 'S'?
Not sure. Is it "Avenue Ess" or "Avenue South"? Which is the noun? Does it really need to be abbreviated at all? Maybe it's time to get rid of them altogether. Devices have much higher resolutions these days, and there's plenty of space on the screen for full road names... [/rant]
I don't think so. Resolutions are getting higher but not all screens are getting bigger. I think you'll have a tough time justifying spelling out "Boulevard" or "Throughway" in any case.
I absolutely agree. I still have an iPhone and my screen is the same as it was 3 years ago. With a huge market share of smartphones I believe we still need to keep the text condensed as much as possible in the directional text areas.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Doing some Wiki cleanup. I noticed on the OP the link to Abbreviations and acronyms was changed in the Wiki for country specific naming some time ago. I fixed the OP to note that and then added a link directly to the US version of the page for faster linking and less confusion for people in this US forum.

In reviewing this page on Abbreviations and acronyms the first section seems out of place in the flow. I propose that we move it after the standard abbreviations section. However since the standard section is so long, I will include a note in that section pointing people to the "non-standard" section if they don't see what they are looking for.

I also added an opening to help clarify the purpose of the page. We can add more if we think it is necessary.

GizmoGuy, I recommend when you update the Wiki with new info from this thread (as I assume you have been doing), maybe put a comment in the Wiki page in the Other Reading section saying the data on the Wiki page is current from forum feedback as of X date.

Final note. The Wiki does not like using "&" in page titles. The page above previously used an "&", so I renamed (moved) the page to use "and" instead. There is a redirect page for any other links to the old "&" format so there are no problems getting to the page with either spelling. Over time I will search them out and replace them for general cleanup, but we will leave the redirect just in case there are external links outside the Wiki. I cover it in the Wiki forum here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It looks like one of our Australian editors was making some changes for the Australian pages and then came in making changes here as well.
sketch wrote:
bgodette wrote:
qwaletee wrote:That page needs serious copyediting.
Go right ahead, and be sure to submit it to a new page or sandbox so others can review your work.
It's not copyediting that page needs, it's a full rewrite, and maybe just a removal of that first section. Those are not the rules, at least in the US, and they don't belong on a country-nonspecific page. (They are, indeed, also pretty difficult to understand.)
I would agree and I am fine if qwaletee wants to take a first crack at it.

I created a separate page linked to the original just for easy locating if we all forget about it. Whoever holds up their hand first should be given initial control over the page and then ask for input from this forum. I have temporarily assigned it to qwaletee, but if someone else steps up or wants it just change the name at the top of the page linked above.

Once we all agree or get enough consensus we can just cut and paste the new content over the old. No need to track our session edits before the final. The history will hold the original page changes for reference.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
dbraughlr wrote:There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".
Are you proposing two possible options for "IRR-123" to be pronounced either
1. "Eye Are Are One Two Three"
or
2. "Reservation Road One Two Three"

Was there a desire not to have it say the whole thing, or were you just offering ideas to shorten it?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
bgodette wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:There are prefixes like "I-" and "US-" don't get special pronunciation.
For all these that you propose, I would be fine with just the letters being pronounced.

Otherwise, what the harm is there in shortening them?
  • IRR-xxx → "Reservation Road".
  • ITR-xxx → "Tribal Road".
Are you proposing two possible options for "IRR-123" to be pronounced either
1. "Eye Are Are One Two Three"
or
2. "Reservation Road One Two Three"

Was there a desire not to have it say the whole thing, or were you just offering ideas to shorten it?
Perhaps the reasoning is much like with County Roads. The generic is just County Road even tho they may be signed or locally known as <Countyname> County Road ###.
Yes that does make sense. So I would support number 2 based on that logic for consistency.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message