Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Share initiatives and actions which made your community grow, from editor competitions to social media activities. Swap ideas and tips and help strengthen the global Waze community

East Coast USA

Post by droftsew
A couple weekends ago we drove from Massachusetts to New Jersey on a Friday afternoon. The gauntlet from southern Connecticut, through NY, to northern New Jersey is a maze of interstates, turnpikes, parkways and bridges. To attempt this on a Friday afternoon as part of a family weekend is not wise.

Well, as you've probably guessed by now... Waze was amazing at linking the least obstructed routes the whole way. We encountered almost no backups the entire route while I could see building traffic on all the other route options we were skipping. This trip can be done in about 3.5 hours if you were on the road alone. But could take up to 6 with heavy traffic any day of the week. We did it in 4 on a Friday evening *during* rush hour.

Thanks Waze!
droftsew

POSTER_ID:1038317

Send a message

Post by DarkNYTE
This is my first post here and I think I have to share one of my experiences here.
I am stressing on 'One of My' as Waze had come to my rescue a lot of times.

The last long weekend, Memorial Day in May, I had to drive from Richmond, VA to Philadelphia, PA. There was another friend of mine, who was driving from Richmond, VA to Connecticut. Knowing that driving rush hours on that Friday would be suicidal, we thought of making the journey on Thursday itself. He got off work at around 5 and was able to start his trip around 5:30 PM from Richmond, VA. Work kept me a little late that day and I was about to start from home (Richmond) at around 6:30PM when my friend called up and asked me to get some stuff he forgot at home. So I had to pick that up and we decided to meet up at the Delaware Service Area. I had hopes on Waze that I could make up some time though I was starting late.
Well, I started a little after 6:30 and by the time I reached the 495 corridor in Northern VA, Waze redirected to me to take the longer I95 route rather than the MD295 one, which I usually take. I experienced a little bit of traffic here and there but in general, has been a smooth ride. I experienced my first stand still when I crossed Baltimore and so I dialled my friend to tell him that I am stuck in traffic and so would be a little more late. Of course, I thought that he was already at the Delaware Service Area. But he responded saying that he was also driving and he hasnt reached Delaware yet. So I finally reached Delaware service after about 10:15 PM. But I couldnt find him in the parking area. Needless to say, I was surprised and shocked to see him arrive the Service at around 10:45 PM. Thats a solid 1:30 hrs saved by Waze as my poor friend got stuck with trafffic and was relying on his Garmin GPS for the drive.
So Waze not only works but it works wonders I would say. Thank You for coming up with such a great app for all of us here.

Thank You
DarkNYTE
Send a message

Post by davielde
Great to hear that you had such a good experience! Kudos to our east coast editors!
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by DynamoEZAW
Screenshots_waze.png
Wazering
(38.51 KiB) Downloaded 12200 times
Here is a simple but good one. On the way home from work, Waze identified and routed me around a major traffic jam. I was so impressed I took this pic! I'm new to Waze but this was what got me hooked.
DynamoEZAW
Send a message

Post by jr1982jr
I have to agree with comments here. I have a TomTom with perpetual maps and traffic, and I have not taken it out for 3 months. I drive both the Baltimore and DC beltways every day in my commute and while I still see traffic, I have FAR more good days than I ever had before. I even stopped listening to Sirius traffic every 10 minutes as Waze is more timely. I especially like that I can fix a problem when I see one in my travels.

My only complaint is that the fonts are a bit small for aging eyes. I have excellent distance vision but the small fonts are hard to read, even on my Droid Maxx. I fear that one day I'm going to get a ticket with the justification being that I am wearing reading glasses while driving down the road. I hear some of you laughing. JUST WAIT 8-)

Russ...
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by krautnribs
I have a Magellan GPS updated to 2013 maps. I no longer use it because the maps used by WAZE are still more accurate. It also don't mind changing routing. I was in Raleigh and heading to Sanford, had the rout all in and was heading home. Then a hard rain storm hit. All of a sudden the map got loaded with accident and slowdown icons, then it rerouted me around that stuff. BTW anyone want to buy my Magellan? :lol:
krautnribs
Send a message

Post by Ltipto1
I feel your pain. I have Waze on my iPhone 5 and use a suction cup mount on the windshield up near the rearview mirror. I'm 58 years old, and drive with readers either pushed up on my head or way down on my nose... LOL Either way, I'm showing my age. Waze is great, if you have good eyes. LOL
Ltipto1
Send a message

Post by nzahn1
I frequently use waze when traveling from Baltimore, MD to Long Island, NY. It's perfect for deciding when to enter and exit the NJ Turnpike, and which route around/thru NYC to take.

I frequently "race" family members out for holiday weekends and usually come out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nzahn1
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

US Global Champ | MAR Coordinator | iOS Beta | WME Beta | Localizer
WME Profile | E-mail | MAR Forum | MAR Wiki | MD Twitter